Chapter Twenty-Three

Above is a picture of Ieyasu, below it is of Kanetsugu

*~*

"Hey..." Hotaru suddenly landed beside Lina who has rushed over to Mitsuhide and was hugging him from the side... "I saw a few samurais beside you... Where are they now?"

"They-they... They are fighting the enemies... I'm here trying to protect Mitsuhide!" Lina tried to speak as her sobs choked her up.

"Hey-hey come on! You need to compose yourself! I've already gotten your brother, see!" Hotaru spoke as he shifted a bit so Lina can see a sleeping Yahiko on one of his shoulders. "He passed out from fright when the battle broke out... But I can carry one more person on my back since he's small and light weight..." Hotaru spoke as he held out a hand to Lina but she pushed his hand to Mitsuhide's...

"You take him! He needs medical aid! He was shot by one of Ieyasu's poisoned arrow!"

Hotaru's eyes suddenly became unreadable as he looked at Mitsuhide's pale face..

"Tokugawa Ieyasu is extremely well known for his poisoned arrow... I'm sorry to say this but... it's useless to take your friend... He's not going to make it..."

"Don't say that!" Lina cried as sobs wracked her shoulders. "Please you have to try your best to get to Lord Masamune's province! You just have to!!!"

"But nii san asked me to take you! He said you and Yahiko are my priority!" Hotaru growled in frustration.

Lina grabbed Hotaru's wrist and closed his fingers around Mitsuhide's elbow...

"Onegai..." Lina choked back on her tears as Hotaru's red eyes pierced her brown ones...

"God damn it... I'm a sucker for a pretty face... Some more for one that is crying..." Hotaru cursed as he placed Mitsuhide onto his other shoulder.

"Arigato..." Lina whispered as Hotaru nodded before disappearing in a blur...

Lina was about to stand up when a shadow towered over her.

"Point blank range... You can't run now..." Ieyasu's voice was heard as Lina slowly looked up to meet his reddish brown eyes...

A sword was suddenly thrusted across Ieyasu's throat, pressing so hard it drew blood..

"Nope. Just nope." a samurai with brown hair sighed as he pressed his sword harder into Ieyasu's neck..

"No no just stop!" Lina yelled as some of the blood splattered onto the side of her cheeks and eyelashes. "Ieyasu sama is a good guy!"

"Oh is it? Word from Lord Kenshin was anyone seen threatening you has to be taken out..." the brown haired guy gave an emotionless face to Lina as Ieyasu maintained the position of his arrow, contemplating his next move...

"No no! He's a good guy! For real!"

"Then why was he pointing the arrow at you?"

Lina couldn't find an excuse as her mouth opened and closed like a fish...

"Can't find an answer? Then I guess it's his loss..." the brown haired guy spoke again as he flexed his arm..

"By the way, my name is Naoe Kanetsugu, retainer of Lord Kenshin... Lord Kenshin is always travelling so I'm in charge of Kasugayama castle most of the time... A falcon was sent to me by Lord Masamune with a hasty handwriting on it telling me to come to Lord Kenshin's aid... Nice to meet you Tokugawa Ieyasu... How unfortunate you won't get to know more about me..." Kanetsugu spoke as Lina stood up and gripped his sword, pulling it away from Ieyasu's throat, causing her palms to bleed.

"What the fuck do you think you're doing..." Kanetsugu asked in a dangerous tone as Ieyasu's eyes widened at Lina's actions...

"I already told you he's a good guy!"

"I know what the hell I saw!" Kanetsugu suddenly bellowed as he flexed his biceps and pushed the sword back onto Ieyasu's throat...

Lina gasped as the sword slipped from her hands and again she gripped onto it to pry it away...

"No please! I don't want to see anyone I care die before me!!" Lina bent her head down, her face shadowed by her hair... "Especially not because of me!!!"

The soil before Ieyasu became wet as Lina's tears dripped freely, mixing with the blood from her palms...

Ieyasu's reddish brown eyes softened as he consciously lowered his bow and arrow...

"You are really something... Hime sama..." Ieyasu whispered as he continued staring at Lina... "You do have the charisma of a leader... Convincing people to change their minds... Maybe that's why Lord Nobunaga is threatened by you..."

Kanetsugu however didn't ease his grip on his sword...

"I'm warning you Lina Uchiha, release your hold..." Kanetsugu warned as Lina shook her head stubbornly.

"Not until you promise me you won't hurt Tokugawa Ieyasu!" Lina shouted fiercely as she stared into Kanetsugu's eyes. "And that's an order from the Princess!"