Chapter 22 - String

This is the song I was listening to as I wrote this chapter. 

"It's about time you answer me, you little shit." 

Kenzou visibly paled as he let out a shuddering breath. A tear fell from his left eye. 

"Kenzou, what's wrong?" Ethan asked, noticing how horrified Kenzou seemed. 

Kenzou immediately hung up the call and held his head in his hands. He got up and started to walk around, tears falling from his face and onto his glasses as his breathing was quick and uneven. The twins stood quickly and walked over to him. 

"What is it?"

"Who was that?" 

Kenzou looked up at them with a terrified expression. 

He gasped audibly as his grip loosened a tiny bit. 

"It was Mother. She called me. Oh god - what do I do, what do I do, what do I do??" He clutched his shirt and fell to his knees. He began hyperventilating. 

"Kenzou, calm down! You're having a panic attack!" Kenzou continued crying as he curled up in on himself. 

"What does Mother want with me??!" 

"Kenzou!" Evan held the younger's shoulders, looking into his eyes. The boy's expression suddenly darkened and he looked at is feet. A small, sad smile came upon his face as he looked back at the twins. 

"Let's go to the park!" He grinned. The others in the room were confused about the sudden change in attitude, but it was better than still wanting to go home. He stood up and walked towards the door. 

"I guess no school today, then." Steven grinned tiredly. The twins quickly went back to their rooms and had a shower, got changed and came back out to meet Kenzou. 

...

Evan smiled and picked Kenzou up to put the younger on his shoulders, Ethan laughed loudly as the two ran around the empty park. Kenzou put his arms out and imitated an aeroplane. 

"Run faster, Eve!" The boy shouted. Evan transformed and ran faster. 

He threw the boy off his shoulders, high into the air, and Ethan caught him in his arms and swung the boy around. He looked into the boy's eyes and he could only see happiness. He was content that they kept their mate happy. The boy laughed out loud, the sound warming the twins' hearts. Ethan put him down, Kenzou stumbled for a bit before falling into the sand. 

The three stayed still for a moment before Kenzou wore a lopsided grin. 

"Haha! We should do that more often!" He fell onto his back, smiling up at the tree leaves. The twins gave each other looks that made the other understand how glad they were that those horrid, sad thoughts weren't controlling Kenzou's weak mind for the time being. 

The twins ran over to Kenzou and picked him up, Ethan at his bare feet and Evan at his shoulders. The twins swung him back and forth. 

"MILKSHAKE!" Ethan shouted. Kenzou laughed and transformed. His snake form on the ground for a second before he looked up at the twins. His magenta eyes glowing with elation. They played tag for the next half hour. 

Once they had all mentally agreed to take a break from the common game, they all went back to their human form and sat down by the swing set. A woman and her 15 year-old looking daughter walked into the park, the daughter holding a tiny boy. The woman took a look at Kenzou and the boys before walking up to them. 

The boys watched her, Ethan and Evan put an arm in front of the boy. 

"Are you Kenzou Hiroshi??"