Chapter III : Not Meant to Be

Abie's P.O.V.

"Abie! Mr. Edward is coming!" sister Esabella shouted from the hallway.

My heart missed a beat...

I don't even remember when was the last time I was feeling like this. When I was 13 ?!

It's been a week since Mr. Edward paid a visit to Father. It's probably because how I behaved with him.

I was rude, indeed. I think he hates me now. He probably didn't want to see me anymore.

The last time I met him was on Sunday, during the morning service.

I thought he wouldn't be coming and just then, he surprised me.

He never missed the Sunday Service since he had started living in this village. So, I was really sad, thinking he might not come.

And when I saw him, I was jumping like a little kid, inside my mind.

I tried my best to hide it.

But when he touched me like that, I couldn't keep my cool and things got worse...

[Flashback]

I was serving refreshments to the congregants, after the service. Just coffee and sandwich. Nothing extravagant. I offered them Mr. Edward and his men. Mr. Edward didn't take the sandwich.

"You want to eat anything else Mr. Edward? I can make it for you..." I asked him when I was serving him the coffee. An evil smirk played on his lips. "Umm...yeah... YOU!", he whispered.

I was taken aback. What was he even thinking, for God's sake!

I was totally nervous. After clearing my voice, I fixed my glasses and looked straight at him, "Mr. Edward! Please enjoy your coffee. I've other places that require my presence..."

Looking at him was probably a bad idea, he was still smirking.

I couldn't seem to keep my heart from beating like a drum. "Sigh...Excuse me..." I said and quickly turned around to walk away from him.

As soon as I turned around, I felt a big palm and a squeeze on my backside.
"Eeekk..." I was scared and stood right there, frozen like an ice cube. I looked behind me. He was still sitting there, sipping on his coffee and looking elsewhere, like he knew nothing! He was still smirking.

I looked around me. Thanks God, no one had noticed. I stood there for awhile, glaring at him. He finally looked at me and shrugged, "What??!"

I was beyond annoyed. I wanted to curse him so much, but somehow I controlled it. Father strictly forbade us to use any sorts of word like that.
I sneered at him and walked away.

I was heading to the kitchen to hide from the crowd and cool off my head.

"Abie!" someone called me out.

"Joseph!", I was surprised. He was in the town, until yesterday. Father probably assigned him for some jobs, like always. He just suddenly left the village and came back after weeks. I didn't know he was coming back that day.

I was about to ask him about it, "Oh! You're back! When did you- "

He didn't let me finish. He just grabbed my hand and locked me
in a tight hug.

It was somehow comforting. I've known him since forever. We're both orphans and grew up together. Well... for most parts of our lives...

I patted his back and said, "Joseph! Let me go. People are watching... "
He groaned and said, "I missed you Abie!" I giggled and ruffled his hair.