Chapter 21: 6 Hours Ago

Lottie:

The silence is cutting me to pieces. My body feels numb against the wall as I cradle Matron's head in my laps. The Professor has left me with her after the torturing session they had with her. Their plan didn't work out. Matron has always been a special one. It would take more than that for them to wipe her, like they did with Bucky. 

It's finally drawn on the both of us what they have been planning to do with us. Instead of feeling shocked, I am terrified. If Hydra has managed to wipe both Matron and I, that means they would have managed to rediscover their formula. 

A small groan sounds from Matron. I glance down at my best friend, and try my best not to wince. Her cheeks are hollow and her eyes are bloodshot. They've turned her into a ghost but her mind is still hers. "I got you," I whisper, my voice breaking slightly when I realize I am running out of words to comfort her. Matron feels so light in my hands, like she's going to catch in the wind and fly away from me.

"Lottie," she coughs violently, her body trembles in my grip. Fear tumbles my heart as I steady her weak shoulders. Her bloody eyes dart to the corner of the room where the camera sits. Shakily, she reaches out and holds onto my hand. Something sharp and metallic pokes at my palm. My chest tightens when I meet eyes with her. "Let's go home," she whispers before choking on shallows breaths. I retrieve the small metal from her hand and feels it gingerly in my hand. I shy the key away from the camera and stare down at it in shock.

Matron must have stolen it from Finn when he pulled her away from the machine. "Let's go home," I repeat her words softly.  Quick thoughts run through my mind as I try to figure out the best way to do this. We've only got one chance. I can't screw this up. Matron can barely hold herself up. But I am willing to do whatever it takes to bring us both back to safety. 

Turning my head slightly, I spot the camera that is watching us. 

If I can cut short the power that is running the camera. The only issue is they've been skipping our meals on purpose, weakening our strengths over the months in which we've been captured. I seriously doubt I have enough power in me to create a short circuit.

In my arms, Matron begins coughing furiously as she tries to push herself up. Gently, I help her to a better position. "I got this," I repeat, feeling the empty words swirl in my head. I don't have a choice. Sucking in a deep breaths, my body complains as I pour all my energy and thoughts into pulling the tingling sensation to my limps. The familiar feeling of statics fill the air.

Wincing, Matron tries a tired smile. "Here we go," she croaks, the dried blood makes her pale skin looks almost grey and dirty. From the corner, the camera begins buzzing. Soon, I feel the first tickle of blood dripping down my nose. I push myself onto my feet just as the camera creaks. The red dot on it flickers off. Next to me, Matron stumbles to her feet. Rushing to the door, my hands tremble as I try to fit the key into the lock. It comes off with a soft snap. My heart is fluttering like a bird in my chest. Cursing, I pull open the door while Matron shuffles behind me. It's happening. It's actually happening. We're going home.

Matron:

Lottie is on fire. And when I say that, I don't mean it metaphorically. She feels soaring hot to the touch, her eyes are ruby red. If I had the energy I would actually ask her if she was feeling alright. But time is running short for both of us. I can barely feel my feet. I trot along as Lottie leads the way. There were yells and thuds when bodies fall to the ground. My arms sneak to my waist as I cough up more blood. Whatever the Professor has done to me, I can feel the damage within my body. Fear seeps through my veins when I realize there is a huge possibility that I'm not going to make it out alive. 

"Watch out!" Lottie's shout snaps me out of my trance as a body falls in my way. I dodge weakly, narrowly missing his blade as I push it back to him. I feel sick to my stomach. The metallic taste of blood rushes to my mouth again when I push the attacker away from me. I don't know how Lottie is doing this but I think she's memorized the route out when we were first bought in.

Reaching back to me, Lottie tugs me along. "There a door that shuts off the entrance to this quarter." She's panting. The dark trail of blood is sneaking from her blood down to her chin. Her teeth stained red as she speaks, "There's a level that releases corrupting gas into this chamber. They had it in case the base was invaded." 

And there it is. The edge of the corridor falls in sight as we continue to tremble forwards, throwing off anybody who's trying to get to us. More and more men begin to pour in from behind us in the narrow hallway. "We're so close!" Lottie shouts among the noises. I pant, saving my breaths as I push away another nurse who's not even a fighter. 

"Go ahead and pull the lever!" I pant when I hear Finn approaching behind us. I dig on my heels and turn, growling at the man who's almost killed me with that stupid device that they used to torture Bucky. 

"Matron-"

"GO!" I scream when I launch myself at Finn. If only of us is getting out tonight, Lottie better makes it. His face connects with my fist but it doesn't take him much effort to roll on top of me. I grit my teeth and claw at his neck. 

"You bitch-" he spits when I manage to leave a bloody mark on his cheek. Glancing ahead, I see Lottie watching anxiously from the hallway, waiting for me to get up and run to her. But I can already feel my body failing. There's no way we'd both make it out. 

"DO IT!" I shout, pushing myself onto Finn again while headlocking him with every last breath of mine. "NOW!"

Perhaps she's seen the determination in my eyes, or she's seen how desperate our situation is. One of us has to make it out there to warn the others, or else a lot of people are going to get hurt. So Lottie pulls the lever, and the heavy metal door begins to drops. Hisses of gas emerges while tears well in my eyes. 

"I've found my reason to feel happy again, Matron."

Finn slips from my arms narrowly. Gritting my teeth, I pick myself up just as he inches towards the entrance now in desperation of getting to safety. He knows. If we both stay here, we would be dead within seconds. With one last breath that I have in my failing body, I throw myself onto him. We both fall with a grunt. Ahead of us, Lottie watches with her hand trembling over her lips. "Go." I mouth at her. Drips of blood escapes my lips as she turns hesitantly.

"Maybe we should go dancing sometimes, Steve."

She begins running to safety just as the metal door locks in place. The poisonous gas sets in while Finn roars angrily besides me. The ghost of a smile plays at my lips as I finally relax, closing my eyes and imaging Steve smiling proudly back at me.