Chapter 5: Damaged

"So what's Fury's plan for us today?" Matron asks cheerfully in the front seat. Next to her, Steve drives with great concentration. His eyes are set hard on the road ahead, both of his hands are leading the steering wheel. To my amusement, a pink glow still lingers in Steve's cheeks.

Ignoring Matron, Steve throws a quick glance in my direction and averts Bucky's eyes. "Sorry about this morning," the super soldier begins sheepishly, "I really did try to hold her back."

The chemistry between Steve and Matron has changed. That I can tell. But I wonder what has happened. Matron, rolling her eyes openly in her seat, crosses her arms and stretches her legs. Besides me, Bucky has his short hair tied up into a ponytail. He has no idea how gorgeous he looks with his hair tied up, showing off his cutting jawline. "Why are you with us anyway?" Bucky grunts at Matron, his arms are folded before his chest.

"Bucky," Matron pauses dramatically and continues, "you're a dick."

From the corner of my eyes, I catch a glimpse of Steve nervously holding onto the steering wheel. Bucky's face has turned a shade redder, while Matron seems to be rather enjoying herself. Exasperated but bemused, I place a hand on Bucky's arm and sits closer to him. "Matron," I make a face at her. "That was rude."

"He was rude," Matron counters and smirks at Bucky, who is struggling to restrain himself. On a second thought, I frown and quiz Bucky's confusion as well. Exchanging a glance with Steve, Matron pulls herself back and faces front, so our gazes no longer meet. "Fury's going to explain," the girl mutters mischievously, though a note of despair rings through her words.

"Weirdo," Bucky murmurs and sneaks an arm around my waist. I shake my head at him disapprovingly before Steve gives a helpless yelp, for Matron is ready to bounce off her seat for Bucky.

"Say that again, Barnes!" Matron screeches, fumbling with her seatbelt while trying desperately to get a hold of Bucky. I gawk momentarily and move in front of Bucky. Matron growls, "I will destroy your face, frosty!"

She has certainly picked that up from Tony. With his eyes slightly dimmed at the sound of his despited nickname, Bucky snickers when matron fails to reach him. "Seriously?" Steve sighs and to my relief, we have finally pulled into Shield's staff parking lot.

On our way to Fury's office, Steve and I walk between Matron and Bucky just in case the worst happens. To be honest, I have no idea where Matron has gotten the gut to push Bucky's buttons. Because if the truth is to be told, Matron is only an average, citizen, while Bucky, well, he is an ex-Soviet trained assassin.

The elevator ride was kind of awkward, but we made it to Fury's none the less. His office is spacious and neat, as per usual. Though the room is emptied of Fury at first glance, contrary to what we have expected. A certain red headed has laid herself across one of Fury's leather sofas, her legs tangle over the arm as she waves at us lazily.

"Morning," Natasha drawls and winks.

"Natasha?" Steve frowns and glances around like I have done a moment ago. Clearly, he's trying to look for a particular missing figure as well. "Where's Fury?"

"He's gone to deal with something with Hill. Should be back in an hour's time." Turning to me, Natasha wiggles an eyebrow and peeks at Matron. "Have you told her yet?"

Looking at anywhere but me, Matron leans against the wall and has her hand on the door knob. She is ready to run if necessary. Under Natasha's accusing glare, Steve begins a coughing fit. "What's this?" Bucky questions with his brows tightly fused.

None of the gals has responded to Bucky's question. Noting the awkward silence, Natasha jumps onto her feet and heads for the door. "Since Fury won't be back in an hour," the woman remarks suggestively, "shall we go have a few rounds of fun?" Deliberately, the Black Widow places her hand on Steve's shoulder, who backs away gravely while Matron rolls her eyes in amusement.