"Well we just thought it might be a nice place to drive and see the aspen trees." My father replied, putting emphases on that last part. The guard smiled and nodded his head.

"Welcome to the academy!" He replied and the gates swung open, revealing a cobbled stone way lined with thick groves on either side. My dad inclined his head and drove on.

"The passwords the headmaster comes up with every year to keep the humans out always amuses me." He mumbled to himself as we drove on. The road was long and windy with nothing but the mangled shrubs to stare at for what seemed like endless miles as we slowly approached the academy. Finally we came out of the greenery and the school's imposing building came into view. My breath caught in my throat as I set eyes on the famous school for the first time. The main school building was a huge Gothic style castle. There were dark towers covered with spires and balconies that loomed over the high structure. Gargoyles lined the rooftops and the highest windows were all stained glass with colorful images of famous monsters. A moat surrounded the building and a large retractable bridge was in place to allow visitors passage. As we passed over it, I glanced cautiously down into the murky water wondering what kind of hidden beasts it might contain. The whole outside of the castle was both beautiful and ominous. Dark clouds were strewn menacingly over us. It was the stereotypical location for our kind. A huge outer wall encased the castle, its dark stone firmly protecting all those inside. Judging by the distance from the wall to the castle, I'd say the wall was built a few miles out. Once the car finished its trip across the draw bridge, we approached another gateway. It was a smaller version of the one we passed through earlier with an identical man standing post just outside of it. He too walked up to the driver's side window.

"Afternoon." He said, eyeing my father in the same manner the first one did.

"Afternoon." My father replied.

"May I see your school papers please?" He asked.

"Oh yes of course!"

My mother handed my father a thick envelope which he promptly handed over to the man outside the car. He opened it and flipped through the papers a moment. Then he smiled and handed it back to my father.

"Welcome to the academy!" He yelled as cheerfully as the first man. The gates creaked open and my father drove on, a huge smile spreading across his face. I felt uneasy as we passed through the big gap in the stone wall. The castle looked even more intimidating from this view, looking all high and daunting atop a huge hill. However, something happened as we emerged from behind the wall. There was a shimmering before my eyes, like I was looking at heat waves dancing across a hot black top. My vision blurred and I had to blink my eyes furiously to clear it. I rubbed them a few times when I still could see nothing clearly and when I looked up, the entire scene before me had changed. I gasped and dove to the front of the car.

"Ollie!" My mother scolded as I brought my face as close to the window shield as I could.

"W-What is that?!" I stammered as I pointed out the window.

"What?" My mother asked curiously, peering in the direction I was pointing at.

"That." I said again, stretching my finger out even more. What just a moment ago was a dark and terrifying castle surrounded by puffs of threatening clouds, had completely disappeared. In its place was still what looked like a castle, but not a dark and foreboding one. No the stone on this castle was white, it's perfectly built structure seemed to glow as sunlight splashed against its surface. The gloomy clouds were also gone and the sky now showed a stretch of breathtaking blue with sunlight washing over everything. Well maintained gardens littered the school grounds and huge fields of green grass surrounded the front of the building where gaggles of students lounged about. What was even more impressive were the intricate fountains and waterways that seemed to surround the entire building. As we drove pass one on our way to the front, I glanced down and found the water was filled with colorful fish. No not fish I realized as one of them waved at me, but mermaids and sirens. The school must have built these water ways for their sea loving students. It was amazing! We drove over a small bridge that rose over one of these streams of water and then around a small round about. My father parked in line with the other parents who were dropping their kids off to this surreal place. I got out of the car and watched as all kinds of creatures gathered and mingled. A mother and father kissed their daughter goodbye, who looked more than a little distressed by it. I gasped as she then sprouted huge purple wings from her back and soared into the sky. She must've been a pixie. Another couple was lecturing their son about taking his flee medications. He blushed and mumbled a reply before running away in a very animalistic manner. Werewolf. This whole place was simply fantastic! As I stared wide eyed up at the castle again, admiring all the detail in it, I felt a tap on my shoulder. I turned and found a smug look on my mother's face, an understanding one on my father's.