One: Volunteers or Something Else?

Start from the beginning

"Thanks," Roxie says. Then, her smile fades and becomes downcast, and she bites her lip before exhaling. It gets me worried, because I don't see this side of Roxie often. "Matt, I've been meaning to tell you something...I've held it in for a long, long time," she starts with a lot of seriousness. Wait, is she confessing?

Okay, so I've gotten a few confessions here and there, nothing to get jealous over, but I've never even thought about getting one from my best friend who I've known since Pre-K and consider my sister. But hey! Maybe it isn't a confession; maybe Roxie just has something on her mind that she wants to get out. But what could she possibly have had on her mind for a long, long time? No, what I need to do is go with the flow. Just go with the flow, Matt, best thing to do right now: go with the flow.

I take a sip to calm my nerves. "And what's that?" I ask carefully, trying to sound neutral.

"Well, I was shocked when you had told me about them, and when Aunt Scarlett was..." She looks nervous, and unsure of how to word what she wants to say. It's like she's treading on thin ice, which is very, very true.

Of all the things for her to say it just has to be about how I've got a group of Hunters who've already caught and killed my mom after me and my dad.

Stop, Matt, don't go there.

I take a deep breath, letting it out as calmly as I can before taking a long sip of my coffee. I've managed to not think too much of Mom for a few months now, but it's still a punch to the gut when... I sigh, trying to get rid of any and all thoughts of Mom and focus on Roxie. Speaking of whom, I get annoyed. She's got a real way of misleading people.

"Roxie, you know how I get about that." I sigh, a little relieved that it wasn't a confession, but more than a little pissed at the mention of them. I clench my hand, trying not to let the white-knuckled fist tremble too much. Last time I did that I split the skin and bled for a while; I don't want that to happen again.

"Let me finish, please." She pleads, and I can really see that she needs to get this out. So, I nod, trying to ready myself for whatever Roxie's next words may be.

"Spill..." I relent, taking a sip to keep my mouth busy so I don't end up interrupting her by accident.

"Even though I was shocked, it had made me realize something. It made me realize that the things that have always drawn me to you were you...but it's not the same reason they have." She finishes uncomfortably, and I can't stop watching her twiddling fingers.

I look at her in disbelief. "You've been waiting 'a long, long time' to say that to me? Man, Roxie, you're a little slow aren't you? I already know. You didn't have to say anything; I almost had a heart attack." I blurt, but immediately regret it and feel like a jerk when her face falls, hurt written all over it.

"Well, sorry, but I just wanted to make sure you knew." She huffs before walking ahead angrily.

I sigh, taking long strides before pulling her into my side. I rest my cheek on her head, breathing in her lavender scent. Geez, what's with girls and smelling nice? Though, I probably shouldn't complain.

"Thanks for telling me anyways." I tell her, softening my voice. I instantly feel her relax, forgiving me. "What made you bring that up anyway? It's been years since, you know." I ask, curious, as I take a sip.

Roxie shifts. "Cole was in the attic, looking for some memento of Dad's, and he found some old albums. Your mom was in some of them and it just got me thinking." She replies quietly.

"Oh," is all I say. I let go of her. "Wasn't there something you wanted to tell me earlier?" I ask. I want to know what she's going to say next. I've learned the hard way to never brush someone off without knowing what they're going to say, especially when that someone is close to me.