Chapter Seventeen

Start from the beginning

Once, Zeus had attempted to take Persephone's innocence but Demeter took precautions, sealing her daughter in a cave surrounded by two very aggressive dragons. He had somehow found his way in after he believed he had lulled the dragons to sleep, he made his way to his daughter, who was sound asleep, waiting for the time for her mother to come free her. He was fully prepared to mount her and have his way, but one of the dragons had not remained asleep for long. 

Persephone awoke to the violent sounds of her father and a dragon mating, leaving her horribly scarred as her mother arrived. From the awkward encounter, a child was born, named Zagreus. Zeus claimed that the mother was young Persephone, but it didn't take long for the true story to get out, leaving Zeus angry and bitter as many mocked him for his failed attempt. He vowed to himself silently that he would take Persephone for his own one day.

When caught sight of her standing on the soils with her mother, a plan began to develop in his mind once more as he heard the mournful cries of Persephone confiding in her mother about her marital problems with Hades. Demeter told her to leave Hades in the Underworld and never look back but the suggestion only seemed to make Persephone angry and she informed her mother that while she was upset with her husband, she did not intend to leave him. She still loved him and would forever be devoted to him. 

Zeus would have to be patient but he had the perfect plan in mind for when Persephone returned to the Underworld after her stay with her mother. 

Hades knew when Persephone arrived home that he was going to have to stop avoiding the subject and actually sit down and talk to his wife. The fates had told him over and over to actually talk to Persephone rather than just blowing her off or going off on her. She didn't deserve such harsh words to be spoken and while he didn't want to admit that three hags were right, he didn't have much of a choice. He promised when she returned that he would confess his true feelings on the matter and they would solve their problems without a major fight. 

"What if she does not want to reconcile matters?" Hades asked Thanatos in private away from the nosy Furies and Fates.

"Perhaps try more pomegranate seeds," Thanatos said with a hearty laugh until he was silenced by a deadly glare. "What I meant to say is-"

"Quiet, Thanatos!" Hades huffed at him before stalking off leaving the other God alone.

"Well, I thought the moment called for a bit of comic relief, pardon me."

After nearly prying her mother's arms off of her, Persephone returned to the opening where she would return to the Underworld. Upon entering, Cerberus was waiting for her, several whines escaping from the heads of the beast.

"I missed you too, friend," Persephone said as she lowered herself to greet the beast with several pats. "It has felt like forever, has it not?"

She didn't feel like being bothered with giving details of her stay with her mother with the Furies or with the Fates, all she wanted to do was rest. But she knew she had to see Hades, at least acknowledge the fact that she was back, even if he cared. After the way she treated him the last time before her departure, she couldn't expect much from him. Even though time had passed, she still expected him to be upset with the way things had left off. 

However, she was approached by Thanatos when she arrived, as he held out a scroll for her.

"It is good to see you home," Thanatos said with a bow of his head. "From Hades."

He urged her with a little nudge to take the scroll, which she gladly took from him.

"Thank you, Thanatos, it is lovely to be home. It is a wonder how I ever put up with my mother for as long as I did before coming down here."

"It is a wonder how you put up with her at all."

Persephone chuckled before bringing her friend into a hug and then unraveling the scroll to see what Hades had written to her. It was a brief request for her to meet with him in their bed chambers so they could discuss things over. She gave a nod of her head.

"Well, I should tend to this...matter."

"Yes please do tend to it, it would make life so much easier on the rest of us," Thanatos replied. "He has been awfully moody since you last left and it has come to the point where his wrath makes me feel some sort of pity towards the damn soul and we all know I hardly feel pity."

"You hardly feel anything."

"That is why I am so concerned."

With a departing wave, Persephone made her way back to the chambers to talk to Hades. Upon her arrival, she slinked into the room only just a few steps in the door when she was suddenly pushed against the wall roughly. Her eyes widened by the sudden movements when she came face to face with Hades. He had never been forceful with her or even rough, normally all of his touches were gentle, leaving her incredibly confused for a few moments.

"Hades-" She managed to speak his name before she found herself in a rough kiss. He finally pulled away, tracing her jawline with kisses and nipping at her neck. Persephone wasn't sure how to react to his sexual advances as they were so different from before. He grabbed her thighs with such strength it caused her to yelp out as she struggled against him with a fearful look.

"Stop it!" She said as Hades looked up at her in confusion. "What are you doing?"

"Attempting to make love to my wife," Hades informed her. "What is wrong-"

"You...you are acting different," she said rubbing her fingers over her lips that felt completely bruised. "I received your message from Thanatos about wanting to talk but this does not seem to be any sort of talk."

"I figured I could let our bodies do the talking," Hades replied. "I have missed you."

Perhaps she was being too harsh with him, maybe he just missed her terribly after the way she had left. His strength wasn't always with his words, especially when it came to talking through problems.

"I want you to carry my child, Persephone," Hades whispered in her ear causing her to shiver. That's all that she wanted to hear before she had left with her mother, but now, she wasn't sure how she felt about it all, especially hearing it come from him in that moment. Nothing felt right as Hades returned to kissing her neck. She felt uncomfortable and went to push him away again, wondering what the problem was when suddenly, the large and heavy wooden door opened, revealing Hades entering the chambers. Upon seeing Persephone and another Hades, the entire scene fell silent.

***

"So Zeus disguised himself as you, in order to sleep with me?" Kore asked as she looked at Hades.

"Yes."

"And yet you blamed me? He tricked me and you said I was the one unfit to be a parent. Even though it wasn't my fault, to begin with. You just turned on me, instead of him? How does that make any sense at all?" She questioned further with an incredulous look before leaving her bedroom and walking down the stairs.

"Where are you going?" Hades called after her as he followed her out and watched her hurry down the steps. He leaned against the railing with a curious look but she didn't bother to look back at him.

"To the kitchen," she replied in a calm tone that made it sound even more threatening in the situation.

"For what?" He asked.

"To grab that pot!"

"Why?"

"To hit you with again for being a complete idiot!"