Chapter Four

***

***

The sound of chirping, nor did the rustling of the dog in the corner of her bedroom stir Kore from her slumber the next morning. In fact, she did not move an inch through the entire morning as she was buried under her covers, sound asleep. However, as the clock beside her bed turned seven minutes passed noon, some loud knocking came from downstairs, finally pulling her out of her sleeping state. She lifted her head, glancing around in confusion until her eyes settled on her alarm clock. Cursing under her breath, the woman immediately shot out of bed, ignoring the gazes of the three birds at her window, and the puppy that was watching her intently from his bed.

Without slipping anything onto her feet or even bothering to fix her hair, Kore ran out of her room and down the stairs to open the door. She didn't even have to guess who it was as she saw Mark standing on the other side of the threshold with an upset expression.

"Mark," she groaned clapping her head to her forehead. "I am so sorry! I didn't mean to-"

The boy gave her an angry look before turning away and walking back towards his bike. "Mark, wait-" She went to call after him, however, she stepped in something with her bare foot causing her to cringe and look down. Mark didn't want to listen to anything the woman had to say before he climbed onto his bike and peddled away. However, Kore was too occupied by what she had stepped on rather than call after him.

As she lifted her foot up, she saw it was stained with red juices as a couple of pomegranate seeds were stuck against her skin. She swallowed, letting out a whimpering noise before she quickly lowered her foot and wiped it against the cement step. She could see a couple of others had remained untouched from her foot, but Kore wasted no time brushing them off her steps with her hand. 

Looking around, she tried to make sure that she hadn't missed any before she left inside to call Mark's mother and apologize. Not showing up to the shop, she was sure that Mark had left his home and just waited around, expecting her to show and when he arrived and found her asleep, Kore knew he had every right to be upset. She was upset with herself, but she was also quite upset with the dilemma that she was facing with the cursed seeds that continued to appear from nowhere.

Why were pomegranate seeds haunting her? What had she ever done to them that they would feel the need to psych her out in her own home?

"Now, I'm just being crazy," she muttered to herself. "I need to pull myself together."

As she wandered back upstairs to collect her phone, she thought about in all the horror movies that she watched when the home was haunted. Whenever something odd happened, the people were advised to ignore it as giving attention, only caused more problems. However, the people in the movies never listened, which always resulted in shit hitting the fan.

Walking over to her nightstand, she went to collect her phone when she noticed pomegranate seeds had been placed on her pillow again. Her hand was shaking tremendously as she reached out for her phone, quickly snatching it up as if someone was going to reach out and grab her. Looking around, Bruce was still resting in the corner, watching her quietly.