Chapter Twelve

***

***

Kore was frightened as she found herself in the Underworld at the side of Hades. It was so much different from the land she was used to walking, full of bright sunlight and the color of all the foliage created by her mother. The Underworld was the complete opposite, everything appearing so dark and dismal, she suddenly wanted to return to her mother's side. The confidence brought out by her curiosity had vanished upon their arrival and she was feeling jittery enough to run. However, Hades held her close to his body. The coldness of his hand, touching the warmth of her skin, it was an incredibly odd feeling.

She so used to the warmth of the sun, her mother keeping her protected from any harsh weather and yet, the God's touch brought about shivers to her skin. However, she didn't find them to be unpleasant. It was a new sensation, one that left her feeling a craving to feel it against her face or perhaps against the back of her neck. She did not voice such things, though as the chariot came to a halt and Hades brought her to stand next to him. Looking down the path where they had traveled, Kore was feeling torn with her decisions. She was not fond of the appearance of the Underworld, but Hades was incredibly hard to find unlikable. 

Her mother continued to race through her thoughts, wondering how crazed she would become once she was notified that Kore was missing. Taking several steps in the direction to leave, she felt the coldness of Hades' fingers wrap around her wrist, keeping her in place. Glancing over her shoulder at him, she met his gaze. 

"Leaving so suddenly?" He questioned as she tried to pull her hand away.

"I apologize, but I cannot stay, my mother-"

"Cannot control your life, unless you let her. I have yet to give you the tour that I promised you."

"It will not be necessary," Kore said. "I do not wish to see anymore."

Hades could tell that she was lying as she would not meet his gaze anymore as she spoke, despite earlier when she had kept his gaze with no issue. Her fear did not lie with him, but with her mother's reaction. He couldn't blame her as Demeter's controlling nature was often met with a harsh punishment if she did not get her way, one of the many reasons that Hades did not like her. Kore was merely projecting what she thought her mother would like to hear, rather than what she personally wanted.

It crushed him somewhat, leaving him slightly angered as she wasn't giving him the proper chance all because of her mother. He felt cheated out of an opportunity and he wasn't about to let her go so easily. It appeared forceful and perhaps it was, but Hades wanted to protect Kore from her mother because there was no point in the young goddess living if she was under her mother's thumb for eternity. 

She would never experience such wonders unless it was permitted by Demeter and with Demeter's selfishness, it didn't seem likely. 

"I want to leave," Kore told him.