Chapter Two

***

***

Pushing the odd behavior of the birds to the back of her mind, Kore decided to get back to work as customers began to enter the shop for the day. Mark had watered the azaleas as she asked him to and returned for more work. She often felt terrible for giving the boy so much work but if she didn't he would just become irritated and request it. His mother reassured her that if he truly enjoyed doing something that he would become borderline obsessed with it and continue working as hard as he possibly could. Kore didn't think that was healthy for the boy either, even if it did keep him occupied. 

Instead, she would bring him about the shop, telling him all sorts of information about the plants they were working with. He didn't say anything, but she could tell that he was listening as sometimes he would give a nod of his head or she could see him writing things down in the little notepad that he carried around. 

Sometimes as Kore spoke with a customer, Mark would linger and listen to what she had to say or what she was instructing the person about the plant they were taking home. Most of the customers knew Mark well as he often helped them carry things out to their car or assisted them when Kore wasn't available. 

Throughout the day, Kore could answer hundreds of questions pertaining to the plants that she sold, mainly about how much one should water their newest plant, how much sunshine to provide, and the proper soil and food. However, when it came to many of her customers, Kore believed they should only own cactuses, as they were plants that thrived off neglect, which most of them were experts at. But her customers normally wanted the prettiest flowers which required the most care and when they didn't bloom the way they should have they would come whining to her to fix it.

Of course, it only took a simple touch of her finger but she couldn't let them know that. Often times, she would keep the plant for a few days and "nurse" it back to health. Poor Mark wanted to learn her secrets so that he would be able to help her and the plants, but Kore couldn't just tell him. She wasn't sure if the boy would even believe her without a demonstration and even if others didn't believe what the boy told them, Kore had always exercised extra caution. From the time when she was young, she was a very quiet and private person.

In the foster homes where she grew up, many of the families seemed to enjoy her company as she just kept to herself. Her earliest memories were of her in the company of strangers that she couldn't even call mother and father. Instead of being placed in an orphanage, she was placed in multiple homes until she became of legal age to take care of herself. Kore didn't dwell on the idea of her parents, obviously, they didn't want her or they couldn't care for her. There was no reason for her to even bother with seeking them out. She knew it was best for her to just focus on herself.

Working jobs from the time she was sixteen and spending plenty of time in the library doing her own research after school, Kore learned plenty about her future career and even saved up all the money to get a running start on her business. It wasn't just her driven mind that helped her succeed, it was also her kind nature as many seemed to enjoy her company whenever they came into the shop. People would talk to her for hours on end just because they liked her enough.