Chapter Seventeen

***

***

Hades suspected a time where Persephone would start to crave the idea of having children, perhaps it was a maternal instinct bred into her from her protective mother or just the sheer want to mother her own young. However, it was a time that Hades was dreading the most and did his best to avoid the topic at all costs. Perhaps the young goddess blamed herself, maybe believing that she didn't have the maturity to become raise young, she often tried her best to impress Hades, to show him that she was not a simple minded girl. But what Persephone did not understand was, Hades' hesitation had nothing to do with her, it had everything to do with his own insecurities. 

He was the God of the Underworld and in his mind, it did not come across as a title full of pride. He had drawn the shortest stick when it came to his brothers, they ruled with power and there were many that worshiped them and loved the two Gods. When it came to Hades, mortals and other gods and goddesses, often feared him. He was associated with death and punishment, the Underworld outside of Elysian Fields was nothing to dream over as Morpheus had once put it kindly in words. Those that visited Hades were never willing and he had to think back to his wife that hadn't been very willing to stay in the Underworld initially.

Hades' deepest fear came with the idea that his own offspring would come to resent him, come to resent their home that was nothing of darkness. Persephone had been able to finally observe the beauty, but if his child or children could not, it would leave him in terrible standings and he couldn't bear the idea of it one bit. He didn't want to bring the children into a dark world and if the children ventured to the surface where they experienced light, would they want to remain up there? What would occur with Persephone if she was suddenly forced to choose between him and their children? Who would she choose? He expected her to wholeheartedly stay with the children and raise them but once again, it would leave him all alone. 

The God of the Underworld was not to have any fears, he was supposed to evoke fear, to prevent many from acts of crimes. He had to conceal his fears and bottle it all up inside to keep a strong face, but it was never a healthy thing to do and when Persephone continued to pester him with questions, he would take his anger out on her. The two of them becoming engaged in terrible arguments that shook the cores of the Earth. Hades could spit fire but Persephone was just as capable of spitting her own venom back during a heated session. 

For awhile, the couple grew distant and Persephone could suddenly feel the cold of Hades' skin and of the Underworld, leaving her to crave the light once more that she had completely neglected for so long. It was during the time that Persephone left with her mother for the seasons without even uttering a goodbye in Hades' direction. The damned souls that came to Hades during the time, would experience the worst of punishments under his wrath and he unveiled and released all of his anger on them in his wife's absence. 

During her time in the Underworld, Persephone had not only matured mentally but physically, she continued to blossom into a beautiful goddess. In her mother's company, she caught the eyes of many, among them, was her own father, Zeus....again. Zeus was known for his wandering eyes, along with his wandering penis. It did not matter to the God if he was married or not, if something had a hole, he was pretty much interested from the start. But Persephone had always been alluring to him, her beauty was something that he wished to conquer. Demeter had known it from the very beginning and didn't want her daughter to be taken advantage just like she had been.