60 - Young Blood II

Start from the beginning

"Very well, but I am going to rip it off you at some point tonight, and enjoy every moment."

"Which is hilarious since you've seen me naked already—many times."

"It's not the same."

"Good grief. Men," the redhead laughed, shaking her head.

"You love me. And now that you're laughing, do continue to enjoy the evening while you help. I'm looking forward to stealing all those ribbons from you," he smirked, giving her cheek a quick peck.

"Of course. And I'll be sure to make that capture the flag game a breeze," she winked right back.

"Alright, love birds, hurry it up! We are going to be late at this rate!" Antonio called from ahead of them, having noticed their lagging.

"Forgive me, I was... admiring Sister Teodara's handiwork. I would not have expected it from someone dressed as a nun," he chuckled as they increased pace to keep up.

Teodora smiled knowingly, "Such is the way of an unconventional church... and I see you wish to ask much of me, no?"

Ezio glanced to Catherine, whom gestured for him to go ahead, "Well... I admit... I do. We both were curious, truthfully: why is it you wear a nun's habit if you aren't one?"

"Answer if you must, but let us hurry," Antonio added quickly, all of which agreed to and kept moving. Teodora remained close to the two Assassins, though, chuckling with her knowing smile still etched perfectly onto her olive face.

"Well, whoever said I was not? Indeed, I am married to the Lord."

"But... you run a brothel?" the redhead inquired, brow raised.

"So?" the woman returned. "I see no contradiction. How I choose to practice my faith—what I choose to do with my body—these are my choices to make. Like many young women, I was drawn to the church, but grew disillusioned by the 'believers' of this city. Men hold God only as an idea in their heads, not in the depths of their hearts and bodies. Men must know how to love in order to reach salvation. My girls and I provide that to our congregation.

She paused, shaking her head, "No church would agree with me, I realized. So I created my own. It may not be traditional , but men's hearts grow firmer in my care."

"Among other things, I'm sure," Ezio chuckled, grunting a split second later when Catherine elbowed him—playfully of course. "What?"

"You know what," she snickered, amused despite her actions. Their attention was drawn to the world around them, though; stone buildings and streets giving way to much larger, open spaces filled to the brim with decorations, lights, and people, lively and gay. Masks were everywhere, everyone dancing and laughing and prancing about without a care in the world. It was a sight to behold, and Catherine could feel the energy invigorating her as well. Ezio, too, felt it; she knew in the way he pulled her close with an impish grin on his lips. They were still very much so aware of the job they had to do, but it was hard not to be pulled in the revelry. It was Carnevale, after all. It was a time to forget troubles—to forget your worries and live in the moment.

"We are here—and over there is the man in charge of the games. Listen closely; he is about to explain them," Sister Teodora spoke up, gesturing to a wooden structure where a portly man dressed in bright, lavish clothing and a simple mask called for the crowd to approach. Catherine made some note of him, but her focus turned to the men not far off—two she recognized. Templars. They were somewhat in the shadows, but she still recalled the dark cowl and the over-bearing, dangerous aura the bodyguard gave off. Dante and Silvio, she recited silently. Perhaps there would be three men to kill tonight—but only if they could. Marco Barbarigo was their main target, thus he came first. So for now, the redhead turned her focus back to the man announcing the games.