Chapter 1: Knee Scrapes

thank you so much for all your sweet comments in the prologue! it makes me so happy to see you liking the story so far! i hope you like this chapter too! :)

=====================

Chapter 1: Knee Scrapes

I quietly closed and locked the door behind me, wanting to be as quiet as I could to surprise them. But of course, my mum being my mum heard and immediately screamed with excitement.

"Benny!" I heard her running to the front of the house. I slipped my shoes off and took off my jacket, hanging it on one of the hooks on the wall beside me.

"Mum!" I replied back in the same level of enthusiasm.

"And Devon! Oh, it's so nice to see you both!" She rushed over to us with open arms, engulfing us into a tight hug. When we pulled away, Devon gave her a kiss on the cheek, which made a smile appear on my face.

"Nice to see you too, Kaitlyn," he politely said back. "We brought something for dessert."

"Aww, thank you!" She smiled as Devon handed her the covered dish. "Is it what I think it is?" She asked looking at me.

"It is indeed," I smiled. "Devon helped me make it."

"Yay, I love your coconut cream pies! I'll put it in the fridge." Mum gave us both another hug before going back into the kitchen. I looked at Devon and he smiled at me as he finally had the chance to take off his jacket and shoes.

"Aunt Benny, Devy!" Bailey came running over and smashed into us with her arms open.

"Oh my," I laughed, my hand instinctively rubbing her back. She looked up at us and giggled. I automatically noticed her missing teeth.

"Did you lose two teeth?!" Devon asked.

"I did," she continued giggling.

"Wow, when did you lose them?"

"Last week."

"And did you get money from the tooth fairy?"

"I did! She gave me two pounds! I found it under my pillow!"

"That's amazing, Bailey!" He playfully ruffled her hair. I was left in awe watching them interact—like I always did whenever they talked to each other. "C'mon, I wanna show you something in the living room!" Before Devon could react, Bailey held onto his hand and whisked him away. I laughed and walked into the kitchen, seeing mum, dad, grandma, Clover, and her husband, William.

"Well, hello to you too, family," I joked and walked over to my grandma first, who was sitting at the table.

"Oh, Bentley!" She hugged me tight and kissed me on the cheek. "How are you, my darling?"

"I'm great, Gran. How are you doing?"

"Ah, I'm good. Is your Devon here too?"

"Yes, he is," I smiled. "Bailey just snatched him for a bit in the living room."

"Benny!" Dad, Clover, and William crowded around me in a group hug.

"Shuffle over," dad said. "To the left."

"To the left, to the left: everything you own in a box to the left," William and Clover sang in unison to Beyoncé as we shuffled over to Gran, adding her also in the group hug. 

"Devon! Come join us!" Dad said as Devon came into the kitchen. I was in fits of laughter as Devon joined in on the hug. Bailey joined the hug too, not wanting to be excluded from this group hug. But my mum just rolled her eyes playfully and said we were a bunch of crazy people.