Chapter Eight Part Two - A Series of Surprises

Start from the beginning

“How was sport?” Ella laughed, knowing it was the equivalent of torture to me. She picked at the hamburger she’d bought from the school, pulling out the salad, tomato, pickles, carrots and basically everything else apart from the piece of meat. Her choice of food was so bad I wasn’t entirely sure how she still managed to look like a supermodel.

“Oodles of fun.”

“Did you just have sport?” Jenny asked.

“Yeah,” I replied, taking a bite from my sandwich.

“Mr Lespinner?”

“Yup,” I answered with my mouth full.

“I have him as well, but at a different time obviously. He seems nice.”

As soon as I heard the word ‘nice’ I nearly spat the food everywhere, and while preventing myself from doing so successfully managed to breathe in my food. Yes, I breathed it in. Rather than going down the oesophagus and into my stomach, it entered my trachea, heading towards my lungs. Thus, the natural reflex interfered and immediately, my body tried to send the food back up.

So basically, I was incredibly close to coughing my half chewed food out everywhere.

“Hunter doesn’t have football training this afternoon, so tutoring will start straight after school instead of six,” Ace said as he walked past. I didn’t answer. “Hey, did you hear what I said?”

“Yep,” I mumbled and he left.

“You do tutoring?” Jenny asked, seeming somewhat surprised.

“Tutoring?” Ella laughed. “She doesn’t need one. She’s the tutor.”

“Oh, so you tutor them?” Jenny asked again.

“Yeah,” I replied, taking a bite from the sandwich.

“What subjects?”

“We do whatever really…But chemistry mainly.”

“Ah…” She sat there pondering something for a moment and after a moment, uncomfortably asked, “Is it okay if I come as well? I need some help with chemistry.”

“Sure. In fact, it’ll probably be better to have another girl with me.” I grinned.

“You’re there alone?” She sounded shocked. Then again, most people would have reacted like that if I told them I spent an hour and a half alone with a bunch of teenage boys alone inside a house.

“Yeah. They don’t do anything weird,” I quickly reassured her, hoping she wouldn’t suddenly change her mind about coming. She didn’t. “Just meet me at the gate after school. We’ll wait for the guys and head to Hunter’s house.” She nodded and we finished off our lunches.

The bell rang and I endured the next two classes.

I waited by the gate after school and watched as Jenny made her way frantically towards me as though she were trying to catch a bus about to leave. It was quite amusing. The guys arrived not long after.

“Okay, I’ve done a head count,” Hunter announced proudly. “There’s an extra person.”

“Well you don’t say.” I rolled my eyes. Dean laughed and ushered us all along the path. A sleek black sedan with dark tinted glasses slowed and came to a stop by the path further down by the administration office and a man in a suit stepped out, opening the back door. It reminded me of something.

“Who goes to school like that?” Jenny gasped. Hunter looked back to see the sedan as well.

“Who cares?” Hunter stepped behind me and put his hands on my shoulders, pushing me along. “Come on, let’s go!”