Chapter 13: Finally Friends

Friday. The first game day of the season. The boys are pumped, walking the hallways in jeans and their jerseys. Girls who are "lucky" enough to be associated with them receive the guys' away jerseys to wear in the stands tonight. It's a big game.

Tonight the Mustangs take on their archrivals, the Wayview Warriors. I'm excited to see Jacob play a sport off the track since our date last Sunday went really well. He is so easy to be around.

However, I'm stuck worrying about Caleb. He hasn't really talked to me since I confronted him.

I spot Caleb warming up on the field throwing passes and stretching. His staggering height makes me feel small even from the distance away I stand. I hope he will look up to me in the stands, but I know that is something that only happens in cheesy romance novels.

I catch myself staring, and move my attention to the other side of the field. I see Jacob catching passes. He wasn't as tall as Caleb and seemed a little lanky comparatively.

The boys move to the field or take their place on the sidelines for kick-off. This will be an interesting game.

***********
Half time. 15 minutes for both teams to regroup. The score is currently tied 16-16. Caleb and my brother make a good duo. Something like how Aaron Rodgers was with Jordy Nelson.

Jacob is doing pretty good too. The crowds from both sides are intense as well. Shouting expletives at refs based on their calls. Not my type of crowd, but I've always come to games to support Tyler.

Time for the third quarter.

************
The third quarter flew by without any touchdowns. A game of defense. It surely will be a fight to the finish. The game has become quite chippy as well causing the crowds to possess an even greater intensity. The tension is so tight, there's definitely not 6 inches for Jesus to fit.

The fourth quarter is what the game has come down to. No room for error by either team. I almost feel a little bad for saying this, but I hope Wayview loses. As much as I like Jacob, I can't turn my back on my family... and Caleb. What? Caleb? What is up with my mind today. There is way too much Caleb going on.

Speak of the devil as Caleb throws the game-winning touch down pass to my brother.  We did it! Not that I did much, but they did it. They beat Wayview! The Mustangs officially get bragging rights until basketball starts. I spot Tyler hugging his teammates and moving to talk to his friends from Wayview. I debate going on the field to greet them all but ultimately decide it's best not to draw attention to myself.
***********
It is a Brandshire sibling tradition to go out to eat in celebration after a victory. I wait in the back of Tyler's truck for him to shower and grab all his gear from the locker room. 

"Hey Alex, do you mind if we branch out and invite more people into our tradition?"

I've never thought of extending it to other people before. This little post-game dinner is one of the few times I can really catch up with my brother.  However, inviting some of our friends might just make the tradition more fun.

"Yeah, just as long as my friends can come too."

"You've got yourself a deal, Alex." Tyler then creates a group text with our friends in it inviting them for a celebratory meal at The Diner. 

Ty and I reach The Diner first and save their largest booth. Soon April walks in along with John. He was one of the boys I raced against at the track and is in Tyler's grade at the academy. I wonder if they rode here together, I'll have to ask April about it later. Jacob said he'd join us after his bus made it back to the school.  We ordered shakes while waiting for him to show.

Twenty minutes into talking about the game I feel the weight in the booth seat shift as someone takes the open spot next to me. I look up from my vanilla milkshake expecting to see Jacob, however,  I'm surprised finding Caleb instead. He doesn't catch my glance and looks toward Tyler waiting to jump into the conversation. I keep staring at him as he talks watching as his mouth moves to form syllabl-- woah Alex chill. I shake my head out of the trance and glance at April receiving a knowing look. 

Jacob finally arrives grabbing the last spot in the semi-circle booth by John. Everyone orders food and chats throughout the rest of the meal Caleb ignoring me the entire time. It was almost midnight when we decided to head out. Tyler and Jacob decided to spend the night at John's and some of the other guys from the Wayview and Taylor High football team. 

Turns out John and April had ridden together so he was going to give her a ride back. Tyler offered me one, but I refused. It was a beautiful night and I wasn't quite ready to say goodbye to it yet. Instead, I opted to walk home so I could take in the cool air and dazzling stars overhead.

I said goodbye to everyone and began my mini-hike.  It wasn't long before I noticed I had company. 

"Hey," he said calmly sticking his hands in the front pockets of his jeans as he continued to walk beside me. I thought I knew this king of the school, but yet he is proving me wrong. Why would a self-centered person take time to talk to me? Why would someone on a mighty high horse spare me a second glance?

"Hey," I respond. It's met with more silence. We continue walking on the sidewalk towards my house listening to the crickets and the breeze flow through the dark air. "Caleb?" I finally say a little worried to break the silence. I only hear a quiet yeah in counter. "Your secret is safe with me. I never had any intention of telling anyone that you ride. You don't need to worry about associating with me or checking up on me anymo-." I'm cut off with a nudge in the shoulder before I can finish my mini soliloquy. 

"Thank you, but if it's alright with you I think I'd like to be friends Bub." He says with a small smile gracing his lips. This time I don't freak out. He and Jacob are friends, and Jacob should trust me so instead my mind catches on the last word he says. "Bub?" He lets out a small laugh after I repeat the word. "Yeah," He says, "You needed a nickname and I think Bub suits you." 

"What does it mean?" He responds to my question with another small grin, "Maybe someday I'll tell you." I don't respond and instead, we fall back in stride with one another listening once again to the talking of the night.