Chapter 12: I'm Not Sorry

Caleb avoided me at school the next day. I tried to talk to him, but whenever he saw me he would walk away from me. I didn't know he would take this whole situation so seriously.

I finally decided I'd just have to corner him at his car. So that is exactly what I did.

"Alex, leave me alone."

"No, Caleb. Just hear me out."

"I don't want to." Well somebody is being extra difficult today.

"We all have to do things we don't want to do."

"Yeah, well I don't have to do this so I'm not going to."

"Caleb, I'm sorry."

"Too late, the damage has been done."

"I didn't know that you would take it that way."

"You mean, you didn't think I'd take it the way you said it?"

"I didn't mean it like that!"

"You sure said it like that."

"Seriously Caleb, you should know me well enough to realize that I say the first thing that pops into my head."

"That means you were still thinking it."

"I honestly thought Jacob would get mad."

"He should understand that you are allowed to have guy friends too."

"I guess I should have asked him about it before deciding he wouldn't like it."

"Why does it matter if he likes it or not? It's your life, he shouldn't be the one to make the decisions for you."

"He's not making decisions for me. Our relationship is just beginning, so I don't think I should be spending a lot of time with another guy right now."

"We spent one day together"

"But you said you want to do it again, Caleb"

"This conversation is leading nowhere."

"If you would just accept my damn apology may-"

"Fine. Apology accepted. I'm leaving"
With that, he got in his car and drove off leaving me in the dust. So much for that idea.

********

Tyler had football practice after school today. I had to wait for him to finish so I could catch a ride home. I would have just taken the bus, but my little detour talking to Caleb forced me to miss it.

The one thing I don't like about their practices is that they start an hour after school lets out. So I end up having to wait around in town much longer. I tried to call April to see if she wanted to hang out while I waited, but she was on babysitting duty watching her younger siblings while her mom was at work and her dad visiting his brother all the way in Georgia.

I decided to go to Mimi's, a cute cafe off of main street owned by the sweetest old lady. I spent about an hour and a half there and then started to head back towards the school. When I got there it was only 5:30 and football wouldn't be over for another hour.

I decided to sit on the bleachers and watch the rest of their practice since there really was nothing else for me to do. I noticed my brother right away. He was in a green practice jersey talking to someone in a red quarterback jersey. It didn't take too long to figure out that Caleb was the one in red.

I guess I shouldn't be surprised he's the starting varsity quarterback. He is supposed to be the most athletic guy in my grade. I just find it a little impressive that he got the position over a senior who had almost got us to the state championships last year.

While I'm stuck thinking about Caleb for some reason someone taps my shoulder from behind.

"Excuse me miss. This is a closed practice. I'm going to have to ask you to leave." This came from a middle-aged man whose hair had long lost its color and was a dark gray. I considered him to be very lanky and tall. He had on black athletic shorts and a "Mustangs football" t-shirt.

I assumed him to be an assistant coach. "I'm sorry. I was just waiting for my brother to get done. He's my ride home."

"I'm sorry, but you're just going to have to wait elsewhere. Coach McCullum doesn't like anyone watching his practices."

"Okay. Sorry, sir. I'll just be on my way then." Now, what was I supposed to do? there was still another half hour until practice would be over and it was guaranteed I'd have to wait for my brother to shower at school.

"Miss, sorry if it sounds like I'm prying, but who is your brother?"

"Tyler Brandshire"

"Tyler. He's a good kid. You're lucky to have him as a brother."

"I sure like to think so sir."

"It's Coach P. short for assistant coach David Peterman"

"It was nice meeting you Coach P."

"You too...."

"Alexia, but everyone calls me Alex."

"Okay. Alex. Sorry for kicking you out."

"That's okay."

With that, I walked off the bleachers and started heading over to my brother's truck and hoped it was unlocked. It wasn't. I had no idea what to do now so I just sat in the back of the truck looking like an idiot while I waited.