Chapter 11: Why does he have to be Nice?

Caleb ended up making the rest of the day a lot of fun. We did end up checking out a track I haven't been to, and it was awesome! I will definitely be bringing my bike out there sometime.

We ate supper at a Buffalo Wild Wings.
I found out that we are both die-hard Chicago Cubs fans as we both said the Cubs suck when one of the Cubs' players got too big a lead off second base and got picked off.

Yep, believe it or not, even Cubs fans think the Cubs suck. Heck even though they are doing so good, especially after the All-Star break. I don't want to get my hopes up. Caleb told me he thinks the same thing.

After we got done eating around 8 he started the drive back to our town.

"Alex, this was a really fun day. I haven't had one of these in awhile."

"Me either."

"We should do this again sometime." Woah. Again sometime? Why would he want to do that, especially with me? Well didn't you have a good time too? Yeah, but it's Caleb Masterson he can't be seen hanging out with someone like me, a nobody.

Maybe, you're overthinking this? Maybe he's just trying to be nice? But what if he isn't saying this to be nice what if he really means it? Okay, mind please shut up!

What about Jacob? You have a thing with Jacob, I don't think he would like you hanging around Caleb like this. Jacob. Jacob!

"Caleb I don't know if you really mean that, but..."

"I do mean it."

"Okay. It's just that Jacob and I are sorta together and I don't think he would like me hanging around you like this."

"Like friends?"

"Jacob wouldn't see it like that. You're competition to him."

"What about what you think? Don't you like spending time with me? Now that you know me?"

"Caleb I don't really know you that well, and yeah I think we could be civil with each other, but I don't know about being friends."

"Well Alex, here's something else to know about me. I have friends and enemies. You're either with me or against me. I don't do limbo land."

"I'm sorry Caleb."

"No, you're not."

Silence. The rest of the ride was absolute silence.

I didn't know what to say. I don't know why he got so angry. I don't like him when he's angry.

******

After a very long car ride, Caleb finally drops me off at my house. He doesn't say anything to me when I leave, but he waits to make sure I can get into my house before he drives away. Even when he's angry he seems to almost care.

********

Since it's only 9:30, I decide to head over to April's and tell her about everything that happened.

After I finish telling her the story she slaps me in the face.

"Ouch April! Why would you do that!?"

"It's not like you deserve it or anything."

"Okay, but what did I do wrong?"

"You made it sound like he was trying to make moves on you."

"No, I didn't. I just said that we can't be friends hanging out like that all the time, because of Jacob."

"Exactly. Jacob is your almost boyfriend. Caleb just wants to be your friend, you can't compare apples with oranges Alex."

"Okay, but why did he get so angry with me?" I'm so confused right now I don't understand what I did wrong.

"He got mad at you because you turned him wanting to be friends with you into a dramatic thing. You made it sound like he's a bad guy that tries to steal other guys' girls."

"Oh. So he thought that I think he's a bad person?"

"Yes. He thinks that you are judging what type of person he is before you even know him."

"Can't I just leave it at that? Us not being friends. Having everything go back to normal?"

"Alex, you know you can't do that."

"And why not? Why can't it be normal?"

"Because I know what type of person you are Alex. You can't stand making a mistake and not fixing it. You can't go without apologizing to someone. You have to or your conscience will eat at you."

"This seems so trivial. Caleb is just a person. A stranger really, I hardly know him."

"He's not a stranger anymore. He's a person you know now whether you like it or not."

"I don't like it. My life seems so complicated now."

"Fine Alex, but you are talking to Caleb."

"I know."

"So, he really waited until you got inside your house before he drove away?"

"yes."

"He is so nice."