Chapter 22

(Caleb's POV)

I felt a small tugging on my arm as I felt myself waking up. I groggily opened my eyes and found Lucas staring at me with a wide grin.

"What happened?" I asked as I struggled to sit up. Lucas pushed me lightly with his small hand and smiled. I took in his smiling form in as I noticed that one of his arms was in a cast.

"You passed out," I turned towards the doorway to find Geo looking at me with a small smile. "You've been unconscious for two days. It was kind of odd seeing as your wounds weren't that serious," Geo said. Not that serious? The guy clawed my chest open! "You hadn't lost too much blood either...I just don't understand how you could have slept for so long."

"Caleb was tired," Lucas said as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"Yes, of course, how could I have missed that?" Geo asked sarcastically but Lucas didn't catch it as he giggled. "I told your friends to get some rest. They watched you day and night."

"Where's the boy?" I asked as I started to remember everything in detail.

"Silly Caleb," Lucas said as he pointed at something next to me. I turned to find the little boy that rescued me sleeping beside me.

"He didn't want to leave your side," Geo said.

"What's his name?" I asked as I looked at the brave child that would have willingly died for me.

"Max, he recently got his wolf a week ago," Geo said as he softly pat the little boy's head. "He's six years old. His parents allowed him to stay here with you since he nearly shifted when they tried to move him away." I looked at the child in shock. "Little ones can't control themselves very well, especially when they've just recently shifted. Their wolves just act on instinct. It's either- yes or no, friend or enemy, dangerous or safe, pack or not pack."

"He called me alpha," I said as I recalled our conversation. Geo seemed shocked but smiled. "Did he know I was Jade's mate? Is that why he thought I was his alpha?"

"No, young wolves still don't understand the concept of mates at that age. His wolf probably sensed your authority. He recognizes you as his alpha," Geo said in awe as he stared at the child.

"Then why hasn't anyone else recognized me as an alpha?" I asked feeling miserable.

"Because the other wolves have gained knowledge about their alpha, and it's Jade. As they grow older they understand that a pack can only have one gamma, one beta, and only one alpha. His is too young to understand that concept, so he sensed your strength and accepted you as alpha without a second thought. It must be because he has only just recently shifted."

"Caleb is alpha?" Lucas asked in shock.

"Yes"

"No" Geo and I spoke at the same time. I denied it, Jade is his alpha not me. Lucas seemed confused but stared at his father. Geo nodded and winked. Lucas gasped and turned to look at me in awe.

I shook my head but felt disoriented again. Lucas looked at me worried.

"Is Caleb going to sleep again?" Lucas asked Geo.

"No, I'm fine," I said. Geo seemed confused as he approached me. He placed a hand on my forehead and sighed.

"You have a fever."

"Where's Jade?" I asked.

"She's outside training," Geo said.

"Is Mason with her?" for some strange reason my voice sounded vicious. I didn't feel angry...just tired. After that I passed out again.