Chapter 10

I woke up a few hours later and looked around the house, in search of my mom. She wasn't here so I decided to head to the gym for a few hours. Next morning I woke up with a headache. I examined myself in the mirror while dressing up for school. My collarbones were even more prominent, as well as my hipbones and ribs. A involuntary smile appeared on my face as I kept looking more and more, examining every inch of my body. My stomach wasn't flat anymore, it was concave. The picture in the mirror made me feel fulfilled, it was the only things I seemed to have under control lately. I put on my outfit with all the accessories that I had picked out. My make-up and hair looked perfect. I ran downstairs and grabbed my car keys. "Oh, hey honey, come eat breakfast" mom smiled "I'm in a hurry mom, I have to meet with Mr. Bolan before class" I smiled "You seem excited this morning" she said "Yep. I'm also going to lunch with a friend today, she's new at Liberty" I smiled and left before she could say anything else. I dropped the lunch bag in a trash can on my way in the school building and stepped in with a smile on my face and confident. I decided I won't let my life get ruined and that I'll take back control over everything. I actually had to meet with the principle, for the winter formal and the upcoming cheer leader championship that we entered. There were cheer tryouts starting last period since we need some new members in the squad, especially strong, athletic guys.
"Alright, until our next meeting, I hope everybody will try their hardest and contribute with everything they have to make this dance the best one so far" I smiled at the little group that was organizing the dance. I left the room and hurried into the gym where Tina and Alice were waiting for me. "I saw a good few people waiting for the tryouts, hopefully they are good" Alice said " Not junk-in-the-trunk Jenny" Tina said and we laughed at her comment. "Go call in the first one" I said and Tina followed my command . After more than one hour of failed cheer attempts, we finished but stayed around to choose the ones that will make the team. I sent the girls off and I stayed to gather all the stuff. "Yeah, no I'll go check!" I heard Zach yell before he entered the gym. Great. "Hi" he said after he looked at me for a couple seconds. God, why is he still trying to talk to me? I didn't greet him back, instead I kept putting away the chairs and the table we used. "Oh wait, let me help you" he said and rushed over, picking up the table and putting it away while I did the same thing with the chairs. "So uh, have you heard about Sheri?" he asked and I looked up at him "She went to the police and told them about the accident and the stop sign she knocked over" he said "Woah, and?" I asked, shocked "I don't know" he said. I nodded, grabbing my bag and heading to the door. I'm trying not to care so I decided I won't talk to anyone about this again.
The next day, we were having cheer practice with our new members and learning a new choreography. "Alright, any ideas you have, feel free to speak up" I said "Yeah.Roxanne!" Jeff yelled out from the bleachers where he was sitting along Marcus, Zach and Bryce. I pressed play on my phone which was connected to a speaker box and the music echoed through the room. We started our warm up with some stretches, jumps, handsprings and all the shebang. Suddenly, I felt dizzy and my vision went black, blood rushed to my ears and I lost my balance. I woke up in an ambulance with two people around me, Jeff and a paramedic. "Alright darling, wake up, it's fine" the woman spoke but I still felt like I couldn't comprehend what was happening. They rushed me in the hospital, Jeff following suit. They put me on IV drops and took some blood for some tests. I started feeling a little better by minute. "You're going to be fine baby girl" Jeff said, holding my hand tightly. His phone rang and he quickly answered. "Yeah?" he spoke "Yes, we're at the emergency room, yeah I'll go now, wait there" he said then looked at me "Zach is here, I'll be back in a second" he said and I just nodded. After about 2 minutes, Jeff was back with Zach. "Oh God" he breathed out and rushed to my side, holding onto my hand and pressing a kiss on the back of my hand. "What did the doctors say?" Zach asked "Nothing really, they are going to run some blood tests and we'll have answers then, but she should feel better from the IV drops" Jeff explained and Zach nodded "I called your mom, she said she will be here as soon as she can" Zach said and I nodded again. "You still look really pale" Zach said, brushing the hair out of my face and caressing my cheeks. I looked at Jeff and he just gave me a small, assuring smile. Shortly, both my mom and a doctor walked in. "Roxanne, how are you?" mom asked, walking over "The blood tests came back and they don't look very good. Your values are below the average, protein, glucose" he said and my mom looked at me "Gentlemen, would you give us a moments?" the doctor asked, looking at the two guys. Jeff and Zach walked out, leaving the three of us alone. "Look Roxanne, I know what this means and I'm sure your mother does too. Would you like to tell us though?" he asked but I didn't look at him "Has she been showing anorexic behaviors lately?" the man asked again "I didn't notice anything, oh God, this is my fault" mom said "When was the last time you ate, Roxanne?" the doctor asked. "About a week ago" I simply said "Why would you do this, again?" mom asked but I rolled my eyes "I would like to keep you in the hospital for a few days" the doctor said. For a while, the doctor and mom kept talking but I didn't pay attention. Jeff and Zach came back but Jeff had to leave so it was just me and Zach in the room momentarily. "The drops are already halfway through" he said, trying to make a conversation "Why are you doing this to yourself?" he asked, his voice cracking at the end. I looked at him and he had tears in his eyes. "When I saw you collapse, my heart skipped a beat, do you understand how scared I got to see you faint there mid practice?" he spoke, holding my hand gently "I love you so much" he said. I couldn't stop a tear rolling down my cheek.
For the past three days, I've been in the hospital on IV drops twice a day and a bunch of meds. Jeff came to visit every day. Know who else spent their entire free time keeping me company at the hospital? Zach. I had to talk to a therapist but she couldn't get much out of me on why I was feeling depressed and all of that.
"Hey, got you some flowers" Zach smiled as he walked into my hospital room "Thanks" I said. He sat down on a chair and put down his backpack. "How are you doing today?" he asked "Good, I guess. I'm hoping they will let me go home tomorrow" I said "Have you...eaten anything yet?" he asked nervously "Not really" I said "Not really or not at all?" he asked "Not really" I said and he nodded "Marcus and Bryce are saying get better soon" he said "I'm sorry" I said "Don't be, just please get better, okay? And talk to me, I'm here for you" he said and I nodded "I forgive you and I love you too" I said and he let out a shaky breath, resting his forehead on top of my hand that he was holding. "But you know that in order to get better, you have to start eating something" he said and I nodded
After two days, the doctor let me go home but I was still not allowed to go to school for a few days. Me and Zach we had each other. We sure needed that because this whole Hannah Baker thing is not over yet at all.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for reading, comment, vote and share my story. xx