Chapter 18

" Mommy! Look!"

" Jude! Slow down!"

" Its 10 o' clock ! Hurry!" 

The cacophony of sounds assaulted his ears. They scurried around, running into one another like there was no tomorrow. His lips quirked. It was funny how didn't notice the old fashioned trunks, owls and lack of discretion. But people saw only what they wanted to see, last year had proven that. He glimpses familiar faces in the boisterous crowd. None of them spare him a second glance. New clothes and a healthy routine had made him a stranger. He could not help but wonder what the blonde ferret would make of it.He casually leaned against the wall. Would one were to be paying close attention, they would notice that as the large mob that blocked him from view passed, he would be gone.

Harry smiled. The Hogwarts Express was a comforting presence. He had also deliberately come early to avoid the rush. It happened to also give him a better chance at going unnoticed. He frowned as he observed the red and gold train. For the first time he noticed the bias of colours. Of course, this train had been around long, not everything was Dumbledore's fault. After all even if he subtly promoted it, maybe not that subtly, this feud existed even centuries back.

With practiced ease, he boarded the train, settling in a compartment to the back. Harry places the shrunken cage inside his pocket as he lets his owl out.

" Careful, Hed."

Hedwig glares at her companion.

It is you who should be careful, hatchling.

"Yes Hed, but he his bound to try something on you as well."

Hedwig's glare softens.

I will be careful, there is no need to worry about me.

Harry stroked her plumage as a farewell. He settled down, propping his feet on the seat in front. His head makes contact with the window, his eyes noticing the start of the crowd. Hermione and The Weasley won't be there till the last second, as always. Neville and Luna won't be coming until later, and would keep their distance at the beginning, thus removing most of the suspicion placed on them. With a flick of his wand, his closed the doors, putting up a proximity charm, that would warm him of anybody coming close.

The last month was anything but dull. There was a lot of bonding. So much that pranks had to be banned for the sake of study and general sanity. Or what remained of it at least. A lot of discussion had gone on about the attack and its purpose. In the en it was determined that it being a distraction was likely but unlikely as well. Everyone save the kids were still wary about admitting that Dumbledore could have influence in theses areas as well. Unfortunately it was the teens who had the most first hand experience when it came to kids. 

They had also had a small celebration for Neville's birthday. Like always, on that day, Harry stayed up alone in his room waiting for midnight. There were no midnight presents as his friends could give them in person. He had also heard some crashes. It was quite amusing when he yelled 'Surprise!' at his own party. Needless to say, he avoided Hermione after that stunt. It was not much of a chore as everyone had to leave before lunch, lest someone figure out that they were in contact. 

Unnoticed to the untrained eye, several wizards searched the platform, trying to find Harry Potter. He could make out Tonks, in the guise of Dung. She even managed to get the right amount of alcohol on her. No one would've known until she .... tripped. Harry let out an exasperated sigh. God, after so many times of seeing the same thing, it could lose its shine.

Harry could not deny his excitement to return to Hogwarts. It had been his sanctuary, his hope. And despite all the dangers it brought, it had brought him happiness as well. He straightened himself as the charm was tripped. He lowered his wand at the sight of Hermione, yet never lowering his guard. " Third floor corridor." he said.