Chapter 8 - The Distinctive Hunter

Right, guys. Here's chapter eight! Hope you guys like it. Don't forget to read, comment and vote :)

Edited by LittleRedFox

________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Eight

The Distinctive Hunter

"Woah, woman, stop screaming! I'm not going to hurt you for heaven's sake!" The man raised both of his hands in a gesture of surrender.

"What?" Melanie couldn't believe what she was hearing. Did he just say he wouldn't hurt her? Her eyes were watching him and his every movement; she couldn't help it. He stood in front of her with his big and intimidating body. He was tall...probably the same height or a couple of inches taller than Kyle.

"I'm not going to hurt you," he repeated, putting his gun back in its holster to prove his words. He took a few steps closer, making Melanie scramble backwards. She didn't even realize she was still on the ground until the man offered his hand, pulling it back when Melanie didn't take it and stood up by herself instead. "What are you doing here alone? What if there's a serial killer hiding in here waiting to kill you?"

"You are the killer," Melanie wanted to say, but figured it would be the best if she acted like she didn't know anything since it seemed like he hadn't figured what she was yet. "I was looking for a friend," she said instead.

"Kyle?"

"How did you know that?" Melanie looked up at him, surprised. How could he possibly know she was looking for Kyle? He was a hunter; Melanie was sure of that. Could it be that he had hurt or even killed Kyle?

"You kind of called me Kyle back there," he said before Melanie had the chance to accuse him of killing Kyle. Relief filled her heart knowing Kyle was safe, but she was slightly hurt too. Did he really not care about her anymore? Even if she was about to be killed? Well, he did say so. It was her fault in the first place; she shouldn't have said those words to him. "You know, you're not the only one who's looking him-" she wasn't sure what he meant by that but kept quiet nevertheless "-his friend, Damien was looking for him too. Seems like he's popular, huh?"

"I don't know. Um, I think it's best for me to leave," Melanie said, taking a few steps back. The hairs on the back of her neck began to stand; she had the slightest feeling things would turn bad if she stayed with him any longer.

He didn't say anything; he just kept looking at her, amused. It's like he could read her every thought, and she had to admit that the thoughts that were currently running in her head weren't pleasant ones. They were about how she was going to be killed by this very man standing in front of her.

"You don't have to pretend, you know," he said, making Melanie come to an abrupt stop. He was walking toward her; she could hear the sound of grass being stepped on. "I know you're a werewolf. A new one, in fact. Am I right?"

She didn't answer, but her tensed body proved him he was right. This is it, I'm going to die. She closed her eyes and bared herself for whatever was coming. She felt cold, even after her morning exercise when she was supposed to feel warm. But then again maybe everyone felt this cold when they were about to die.

"But still, I'm a man of my word. I said I won't hurt you, didn't I? Come on, I'll show you the way out."

Then he was walking away from her, urging her to hurry up when she was still standing there like a statue instead of following him. Her eyes opened and she stared at him, flabbergasted. "Why? Why are you doing this?" she found herself asking.

"Doing what?"

"Being nice. You're a hunter, you're not supposed to be like this."

"Do you prefer I kill you right here, right now?" He grinned, seeing her shocked expression, before turning his back on her, pulling out his gun from its holster, and holding it in a ready position.