Chapter 6 - Returning Home

Sorry for the long wait guys! I do hope you like this chapter. Don't forget to read, comment, vote and fan me of course ;D

Edited by LittleRedFox

__________________________________________________________________________

Chapter Six

Returning Home

"You know I'm denying her, Paul. Why does it have to be me getting her home? You shouldn't even let her go back in the first place!" Kyle yelled at Paul Crosswell as soon as Melanie shut the door closed.

Paul looked at Tyler, incredulous, "She has a life of her own, Kyle. You want me to be a heartless alpha, ordering her around to abandon her family? You of all people should understand that. Besides, she's your responsibility, no? You're the one who changed her."

"I didn't mean to! I tried to stop myself...but I just couldn't. The urge was too strong." Kyle ran a hand through his hair, a habit he always did whenever he felt uncomfortable.

"Do you know why?" Lars said for the first time since Kyle had come in to the room. He was sitting behind stack of books; one thick, brown, leather book with yellowish pages from old age was opened in front of him.

Both Kyle and Paul turned to look at Lars, but Kyle was the one who asked him what was he talking about. It was confusing even for Paul. How could someone pay attention to someone else's conversation when they were reading? Lars was reading a book with difficult content too; he wouldn't have understood what was written unless he concentrated hard on it.

"Do you understand why your wolf acted the way it did last night?" he repeated calmly.

"You're talking like you know the answer," Kyle said. There was no way Lars could know, right? He wasn't a werewolf; he didn't have a wolf living inside him. He would never understand the way it was thinking. Looking at Paul, Kyle saw that he was also staring at Lars in awe. Even Paul, who had been a werewolf for quite some time, had no idea what was wrong with Kyle's wolf. God, he was such a freak.

"I do know, Kyle," Lars said, closing the book and looking up at them. "Because you keep shutting yourself out."

That was the stupidest answer he ever got from Lars, and Kyle didn't even hide the fact that he thought so by saying, "That's stupid."

"Lars-"

"No, Paul, just think about it," Lars said when Paul too doubted his answer. "Kyle kept shutting himself out, screwing around with some random girl-" Lars' disgusted face was evident and Kyle attempted to protest, but was cut off "-and refusing to be engaged in a commitment. You knew wolves are monogamous, don't you Paul?"

"But I should be the one who makes my choice, not it!" Kyle exclaimed angrily.

"Don't refer your wolf as 'it,' Kyle." Paul gave him Kyle a look. Normally, he wouldn't refer his wolf as "it," but he was annoyed at the way it acted, so he didn't want to give him the satisfaction to be referred to as a "him."

"Sure, sure." Kyle shrugged, even if he didn't have any intention of listening to Paul.

"He did let you make the choice, Kyle. You keep rebounding whenever your wolf is ready to settle down," Lars continued.

"That's not fair. Tyler got to choose Amanda." Kyle looked up at both of the elder men sadly. "And they love each other. Melanie doesn't even love me; she loves someone else."

Paul sighed. "Give her some time, Kyle. You didn't exactly make the good first impression by changing her."

It was sad to see Kyle like this. The boy didn't usually act like this; he always had a weak spot when it came to affection. He might have acted like he was a tough guy, but Lars knew deep down that he needed someone to be there for him to love him just the way he was. Because that was how Lars felt years ago when he left Albepine. He was a traitor in their eyes, and there was no place for him there. But at least he was around Kyle's age when that happened. By the look in Kyle's eyes when Lars first met him, he knew the boy had been alone for a long time and only a hard, rough life could make him have had that look in his eyes.