Chapter Fifteen

Lulu stood on the balcony, resting her arms on the railing. Our hotel flat came with a stunning view of the Eiffel Tower, and we made sure to enjoy as much of the scenery as we could on the last night of our vacation. The week of sightseeing and window shopping had left us tired yet contented. I was ready to leave for home, but as I paced the flat and packed my things for the flight home the next day, every so often I heard Lulu quietly repeating to herself, "I could stay here forever. It's so gorgeous." She was always the one for adventure, and I was more than glad to go on a few of her adventures now and then. I looked forward to our yearly trips, from Jamaica to Berlin to Kathmandu, and all the trinkets and stories we would bring back by the dozens.

I stuffed in the last item and zipped the bag shut. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Lulu shift slightly and I turned my gaze to see her. She still stood beside the balcony, silhouetted by the golden and pink sky. I left the bag on the couch and stood by her; she turned to face the city again.

"Have you talked with Brynn lately?" Paris. Of course Lulu would have love on her mind.

"Not since we left, no."

"I called her a while back. She said...well, never mind what she said. I think she likes you."

"Of course she likes me. I like her too." I casually turned my head to the right, concealing the fire creeping up my face as I talked of Brynn.

"You know what I mean. She like likes you."

My heart fluttered. My thoughts of her were like a hurricane thrashing inside my mind, but I maintained a calm voice. "She does?"

"The feeling is mutual, isn't it?" Lulu craned her neck to see my face. I bit my lip and slowly nodded in reply. She laughed. "Then why don't you ask her? Pop the question already!"

"I'm...I'm waiting." I noticed my hands gripping the railing, my knuckles white.

Lulu's voice was quiet, thoughtful. "You can't wait forever."

I started to slowly rock on my heels, nervous and exhilarated at the same time. I had thought of proposing for a long time. To attempt being more than a boyfriend. Brynn and I had been dating for seven years, and as ready as I was to get down on one knee and ask her those four committed words, I felt insecure and unprepared. I had yet to buy a ring, having too many choices to find the perfect one. And how would one go about proposing to his girl? Would he waltz up and bring her flowers, then produce the velvety box while she was too happy to say no? Or was he supposed to take her to a sentimental place, somewhere important to them both, and have her close her eyes while he held the box before her? There were so many ways of proposing which I had considered, but which was the best one? The one that we would remember when we were old and wrinkled?

I suddenly stopped rocking. Old. That was another thing. According to the scientists who had created the immortality procedure, I would age slowly. I would probably just start to look older in six thousand years. And where would Brynn be? I was reminded of everyone else's mortality. No other human on the entire earth had the same power as I. No one, including Brynn. We could live years and years together, and she would age and I would not. And what if we decided to have kids? Would they live forever as I would? Have wings like their mom?

Lulu gently placed her hand on my cheek and turned my head to meet her worried gaze. "Is something wrong? I'm sorry. I didn't mean to sound so depressing. You okay, Dumbo?"

I smiled, forced a subtle laugh. I placed my hand over hers. "I'm fine. Just thinking."

She relaxed and turned away to enjoy the view again. The sun had nearly disappeared, its last rays shining through the openings in the metal structure of the Eiffel Tower. The golden city lights were millions of constellations that glimmered across the dazzling scape of Paris, and the sky reflected their light like a dark sea. I set my arms along the railing, one atop the other, and leaned my chest against them as I gazed out at this ocean. The cool night breeze splashed my face. I swayed slightly to and fro with the wind, like a bottle swaying with the waves. I breathed an unchecked sigh, soft and barely audible even to my own ears. I cocked my head at Lulu.