Chapter Nine

I waited patiently for Jeslen to waddle in, chewing on my nails and shaking my ankle.

“Sorry about that. Being pregnant is interesting.” She informed me that she was running to the toilet at least five time a day.

“Are you ready to start?” We were in the room where I talked to Dennis. Jeslen had painters outside so we were confined to here.

“I think so.” She beamed, flipping her hair to the side. My finger hovered over the button while I waited.

“Stacey Harris writing for Melbourne Residential, interviewing Jeslen Pierce, up and coming fashion designer.” I set the phone down gently, crossing my legs professionally.

“Sorry, before we start, is Dennis joining us?” Huh?

“No, why would he?” I can cut this out later.

“I was wondering, sorry.” Jeslen frowned, her eyes dropping to her shaking hands. “May I ask you something?”

“Sure.” I set my paper to the side, playing with the pen between my fingers.

“Why won’t you go out with him?” Her eyes were unusually red, with tears prepared to spill over.

“Uh, I’m seeing someone.”

“Please, just a date? Please Stacey?” It was like her body was convulsing. Jeslen’s expression was cracked with pain, and a hint of suffering.

“Jeslen what’s going on?” I leaned over, my fingers frozen above my phone.

“He won’t leave, he won’t leave me alone.” She wailed hysterically, her fingers digging into her puffy cheeks.

“What do you mean he won’t leave?” I pushed on the red button and approached Jeslen.

“Don’t tell anyone, don’t tell my husband.” The scared woman clung to me, her hands clutching my shoulders with immense strength.

“I won’t say anything Jeslen.” I tried to settle her, but she was terrified.

“Dennis won’t go, he won’t stop it.”
“Stop what?”

“Touching, he won’t get his disgusting hands off me!” She contained her screams. “He touches me and I can’t take it.” Oh Christ.

“You mean, touching?” My brows rose with shocked curiosity. Jeslen nodded robotically and sunk into my lap.

“He makes me lie, he won’t stop.” I paused, my thoughts frozen in horror. I muttered, staring at her stomach. Jeslen noticed and choked. “It’s not his, I made sure.”

“When did he start Jeslen?” I can’t, shit. Fuck, shit, bloody hell.

“A long time ago. When I was young. He wouldn’t leave Stacey and he still won’t!” My hands were wet with tears, tears stored for a long time.

“You have to tell someone Jeslen,” it was like my brain just, disconnected. I had a decent thought.

“I can’t tell anyone.” The girl hissed.

“Bradley, you need to tell him.” She started shaking her head. “He’s your lawyer, you can trust him, please talk to him.” I stroked her hair. “I’ll call him now.”

“No, don’t!” Jeslen pulled me back into the seat.

“Listen, if you talk to him, he can take action. This doesn’t need to be big, Jeslen.”

“My husband,”

“The worst thing he could do is kill Dennis,” which I hope he does.

“He’ll leave me Stacey.” Jeslen panted.