Chapter 18

Two whole days. I haven't heard from Liam in two whole days. I haven't heard from my brother as well. I do hope they're both alright. My only source of light nowadays are the remaining people in the palace most especially Zayn. 

I do appreciate everyone else's efforts to feed me, bathe me, clothe me, and try to entertain me but whenever they do, I find myself wanting to be in Zayn's arms instead. Zayn gladly obliged and it was a miracle that everyone found it normal for him to be staying in my chambers nearly every hour of the day. Everyone thinks I'm keeping Zayn in my room because I'm paranoid and in dire need of protection when really, if anyone catches us in my room, all they will see is Zayn and I wrapped around each other. They would see my face buried against Zayn's chest or neck and Zayn whispering sweet nothings against my hair or ear. If at the right moment, they would have caught me and Zayn bathing each other and giving gentle touches and tugs to each other's bodies to get rid of the formed knots from all the stress--nothing sexual of course.

We had tried to get past kissing and gentle caresses but I always just ended up sobbing against Zayn's chest racked with guilt and wishing that wherever Liam is, he's safe.

"You okay?" Zayn asks. I look at him silently and raise an eyebrow. "You've been holding your tea for about half an hour now. I'm pretty sure that's already cold"

I look down at my favorite mug, a fine shade of green with golden trimmings, and frowned. When did I ask for tea? "Oh"

"Are you alright?" Zayn asks. He wraps his arms around me automatically and pulls me gently so that I lean against the massive headboard with him attached to my side.

I shrug.

Zayn just remains silent and begins tracing patterns on my shoulder where his hand rests. I sigh and find comfort in the familiarness of it all. I lean against his shoulder and finally take a sip of the tea I've been holding. I scrunch my face at the bitterness. Tea was never meant to be cold.

"Do you want me to get you a new cup?" Zayn asks as I place the tea on my bedside table. 

I shake my head. "I'd rather have you here than any hot sweet tea" I suddenly remember Liam and his fondness for tea. Then I find myself thinking of having a tea party with Liam and Zayn when this is all over but I know that's quite impossible even if Liam comes out alive.

I shudder at the thought of Liam not coming out alive. I'll never get to marry him and have our peaceful life together. But if I do end up marrying him, I have to leave Zayn. Zayn who's always there for me even though I never asked him to. 

"I hope everyone will be alright" I murmur out of the blue.

"I'm sure they will be. They’re skilled fighters" Zayn says. Just then, someone knocks gently and Zayn presses a kiss against my temple before crawling out of bed and making his way towards the polished wood that serves as the entryway to my chambers. When he opens it, I find Calum shifting from foot to foot outside. He and Zayn converse quietly for a while before Zayn nods and shut the door and walks back to me.

I expect him to crawl back on the bed but instead he stays stiff and looks at the floor.

"Zayn?" I say softly. "Aren't you going to come back to bed?" I whine in my "Zayn I need you" voice and pout and widen my eyes the way I know Zayn can't resist.

To my surprise, Zayn merely sighs and looks me in the eye. "Your father has called for me"

I find myself confused at Zayn's grim expression. "And so?"

Zayn raises an eyebrow and he looks almost irritated. "Don't tell me you don't have even an inkling to what this means?" 

I huff. "Well I'm sorry, I don't"