CHAPTER 21

The whole journey back from the choir competition I see Prudence smiling in my periphery – beaming in fact. The glee on her face refusing to subside as if nothing can bring her down. Our cab driver, interested as ever as to why his client is smiling so hard, whets his curiosity and chirps up.

"You're smiling like a Cheshire cat love, what's got you so happy?"

I too, want to know why.

Prudence's smile widens. "I just accomplished one of my life's feats: successfully managing and executing a major event."

"Is that so?"

Immediately Prudence dives into giving details of her day: from the moment UWL entered the competition weeks ago to the journey of sailing through the semi-finals and finally hosting the last stage of the competition. Needless to say the cabbie is a great listener, careful to add the respective eyebrow raises and sound effects at the right times to illustrate interest at the right times. My presence is ignored for the most part so I tune out until Prudence reaches for me from the front seat and swats my knee playfully.

"And I'm happy for my friend."

I hear the tail end of her conversation and realise she is referring to me.

"I'm sorry?"

Prudence laughs. "Oh don't be modest."

"Go on m'love, spill the beans," the cab driver adds on.

The two cackle as though they are the best of friends before Prudence finally explains the private joke.

"You and Reece Beaufort?"

"Oh," I flounder. "You've got the wrong idea, Reece and I are just friends."

She rolls her eyes and looks at the cab driver. "If you say so...just leave space for God."

For the rest of the journey we are in silence.

It is raining and neither of us have umbrellas so we pay the cabbie in the car and race to our flat when he reaches our parking lot. Once we are in shelter, I wrap my frizzy hair with a satin scarf and pray it does not wet my pillow for I am too lazy to blow-dry it. As promised, I text Reece that I have arrived home but he doesn't seem satisfied with just a message and calls instead; Home Tonight by Marie Dahlstrom resounds off of the walls before I can stop it and I accept the call quickly.

"You home?"

"Yes," I tell him.

I've changed from my outside clothes into pyjama shorts and a T-shirt but I haven't removed the friendship bracelet from Tasha yet. Although I'm not a jewellery person, I barely notice it on my wrist. It is light and fitted – barely noticeable but I know it is there.

"Good, I just wanted to make sure."

"Well you did." I hear the sound of movement on his end of the line and frown. "Where are you?"

"Oh, I'm at home."

"You're not living with Tasha anymore?"

"Nah."

Wow.

I didn't expect that. Even broken up I'd assume they'd be amicable at least until the semester ended but I guess not. Last time I checked their house was being paid for solely and easily by Tasha's father – Reece didn't have to contribute anything since it was a one-bedroom property. It was divine living as far as I was concerned – a dream living arrangement.

"Where are you living now?"

"Outskirts."

"Wow, so you drive?"