005. the goddess, freya?

🌺 Visit #3

IT TOOK HER only one week to return, and by that time Merida has already, against her will, made a lore about how Freya lived — maybe she goes to the same farmer's market and they'd see each other there by the apples (they don't), maybe to the same bookstore where she bought her first Language of Flowers copy (she doesn't), maybe she had to return to her colleagues and so Merida just missed her in the sandwich place on lunch hour (nope!).

     They're all futile, of course (kind of, Hiccup says she's been more productive lately), just fanciful little secrets she'd tell nobody. Forbidden secrets she locked away last night and never to reopen out of shame. She thinks, Okay, now's the last time I'll actually think of her.

     And then the bells ring and sunlight seeps in.

     She was this fucking close. Merida squeaks of all things when she realises Freya returned, with earrings that glisten in the sun, forming rainbows around the shop.

     Nonetheless, she composes herself and clears her throat quietly. "They didn't work again?"

     Honestly, she should be more upset that her arrangements aren't working, that she's terrible at this job (which is a first in nearly five years if she's honest). Fuck, what if Freya thinks she's doing this on purpose? No. Can't be. She studies flowers, right? Thor almight

     Freya smiles gently, awkwardly, and shakes her head. "Not quite. May I order another, though? 'I'm an idiot'? Still with the camellias, please. Maybe add in geranium, too."

     Merida laughs before pulling out the form. She couldn't think Freya would be an idiot if she tried.

     The woman was midway writing the address — the same as before and the same as the first — when she looks up, beautiful blues peering onto her, and Merida can't tell if that expression is amused or disgusted. "Sorry, what did you call me?"

     Oh my Gods, she said that?! Out loud?! Merida takes the latter and tries not to combust on the spot. "Nothing! Just, uh, will it be for the same person?"

     "Yes." She continues writing, before pausing again at an inability to ignore a problem. "Did you call me Freya? The goddess, Freya?"

     Merida tries not to get too impressed that this woman knows basic mythology, but she does, anyway. "Um, yes, but I'm sorry. It's just — you're a lot like her. I mean — it won't happen again. Sorry."

     Maybe, just maybe the world will cooperate with her this one time and swallow her whole. The silence goes on longer than she's comfortable, so Merida takes up all the possible courage she has in her and faces the woman.

     She's smiling, thoughtful. "Freya's the goddess of war and beauty, right?"

     Merida takes it as a good sign (but she still gives full blame on Hiccup for his mythological nerdiness rubbing off of her). "And love, yes." Why did she say that?

     "Well, I'm more than flattered," the woman says, a bright smile on her face. "But I think it's better if you call me Elsa."

     Merida laughs awkwardly, despite being absolutely enraptured. "Oh, that's good. Elsa's much more pretty than Freya."

     It may be the trick of the light, or Merida's just getting ahead of herself (again), but she could've sworn Elsa's cheeks flushed pink.

     Elsa smiles shyly before continuing to write. Merida watches her hands silently, before the woman speaks again, not looking up. "May I know yours?"

     Merida does. "Huh?"

     Elsa follows. "Your name? You're not wearing those name tags they have in coffee shops. I just think it'd be nice to know so I can, um, thank you sometimes."

     "Oh! It's Merida," she replies.

     "Merida," Elsa repeats with a smile, delighted. Her name sounds so cool on the woman's tongue. "It's beautiful."

     She laughs sheepishly as an attempt to divert the attention from the redness on her cheeks. "Thanks, my dad picked it."

     Elsa finishes writing, slides the paper over to her, and says, "It's nice to finally know your name, Merida, and thank you for the flower arrangements."

     Merida's somehow too shocked to respond with something witty or memorable, not that she's planning to (mainly because she glimpsed at the form, a solid reminder this woman already has someone in her life) (and she's never good at this flirting stuff in the first place) (also, Elsa's too good for her). She only says, "You too, Elsa."

     "Can I ask one more question, though?"

     "Sure."

     "Do you think it'd be corny to send flowers to a florist? Like if people were flirting? If I — a person sent you some for instance, what would you think?"

     It's a strange question, and definitely out of topic. If she was an advertising person or a journalist, Merida would know immediately how to answer, straight from the book (yes, her mum made a book): Yes! And we sell the best bouquets, so it's guaranteed the person you're interested in would reciprocate your feelings. Buy from the DunBouquet today!

     But this is Elsa (Elsa), and she's only asking for Merida's opinion, something she hasn't thought of at all. So, she replies, "I don't mind it."

     "Really? You wouldn't think it's corny?"

     "Nah. I mean, nobody's really courted me yet, but I'd appreciate the gesture, I guess."

     Elsa looks at her incredulously before paying. "I find that hard to believe, Merida."

     She shrugs, not sure what to answer.

     A look forms on Elsa's face, she bites her lips. Then, she says hastily, "Well, anyway, thank you again for the flowers, and for telling me your name, Merida," waves, then leaves.

     Merida is confused again.

     But huh, they're on a first-name basis now. That's normal. She's on a first-name basis with a lot of her customers. It's only bad because it'll be fuel for her weak gay heart to go rogue again. Merida couldn't stop smiling.

______________________________________________

A/N: dedicated to julienne bc she's so (corny)ation 💜

"make me an offer for this bouquet" "triple the original price, paid full in cash" "you got yourself a daffo-deal!"

votes/comments r deeply appreciated and encouraged!!

note from 2021: elsa's look. might draw another that's a closeup (ie showcasing the earrings more) but idk. u can check my ig @thenartdier if u want updates

 u can check my ig @thenartdier if u want updates