Chapter 11, Unintentional Hurts

Spring in Halifax was as promised, beautiful, and much more lively. Tourist season was in full swing and the small ocean-side city was alive with festivals and other summer celebrations.

Prem was sitting in his usual spot. Right by the big window that overlooked the harbour. From here he could witness the whole world pass by. The lunch rush was over and Theodoulos had just plopped in the chair across from him.
"Wow! That was a busy lunch service today. The tourists are hungry." He flashed a big smile. "How was your lunch?"

Prem was still sipping on the last spoonful of what had become his favourite midday meal, Theo's mothers' homemade tomato soup,  served with a grilled cheddar cheese sandwich. He laughed at himself: "It doesn't get more Canadian than that."

His answer for him... "It was delicious, as always Theo, make sure you squeeze your mom for me and tell her I said so."

"Why don't you just go back to the kitchen and do it yourself? I know she wants to invite you for dinner anyway." 
Theo was pushing on his shoulder.  "Go now before you go back to work. I'll clear the table and pack your papers away while you do."

Prem stood, patting the young man on the shoulder, he headed back to the kitchen to thank Maria. She was the friendliest and kindest lady in the world. She practically adopted Prem. Over the months his coming to the restaurant so often, and eventually becoming good friends with her son, she'd come to love Prem. This super-polite and stunningly handsome young man who showed up in Halifax and planned to leave, but in the end, stayed and started to make it his home,  he'd become one of her favourite people.

Theo collected Prem's pen and his stack of papers and fitted them back in the slim leather briefcase he always carried. The strange writing was still a riddle to him as he looked at the endless pages of the foreign script. It was fascinating and even though he'd asked many times as to its meaning, Prem had always been vague in his answers regarding the collection of writings.

With that done, he stacked the dirty dishes and returned them to the kitchen. He was just in time to hear Prem accept his mother's invitation to dinner. Nothing made her happier than cooking for someone, and especially someone like Prem who appreciated it so much.
His endless compliments and glowing praise of her skills made her blush. "If I was thirty years younger." She always told Prem "in her day," she would have hunted him down and married him.

Theo patted his arm as he turned and said goodbye. He handed back his case and they watched as he made his way from the kitchen and out of the family restaurant.

The job he had taken was completely mindless and he wasn't encumbered with any responsibility that would cause stress of any kind. It was exactly the kind of job he wanted.

Using his key he opened the door and when he closed it behind him he flipped the little sign from...   "Gone for Lunch, Back in an Hour,"  ..  to  ..  "Open."

He rounded the small counter and took his seat at the stool. The tiny bookshop was piled to the ceiling, every corner was stacked with old volumes of used books of every kind. It provided a quiet place with friendly people, most of whom were from the surrounding area and of course, he was learning now, in his first spring there, that the visiting population shopped in used books stores too.

There was very little to do, other than the occasional dusting or sweeping.  He could sit outside at a small table in front or at the desk. Only when a customer needed attention, was his attention taken from the writing he had now almost become obsessed with. The manuscript was getting thicker and growing in pages every day.  He worked on it sometimes eighteen hours a day.

Originally he never considered staying on in the city by the bay but, the people were so friendly and he found the quiet seaside atmosphere perfect for his mindset. The slow pace and calming feeling he felt, was addictive. It wasn't as if he sat one day and decided: "I'm going to stay here." It just happened, the weeks and months passed by and he found himself with no desire to leave.