Chapter 2, Thunderstorms

Arthit and Kongpop were still standing outside the bus. Kongpop had a clipboard in his hand and as he ticked the last box,  Arthit put his arm around him and they climbed aboard. All eyes were on them as they took their seats. Kongpop looked especially nice. As head hazer he stood out but today more, because he was dressed so beautifully.  Arthit too, he was wearing one of his colourful Hawaiin shirts and his John Lennon round sunglasses.

Knot and Wad were in the back with the other seniors. Knot was a bit of a standout himself, his ultra light-weight deeply cut sleeveless shirt was, "So damn fine!" It showed off everything, from his ribcage to his mountainous biceps. The shirt with a brilliant multicolour tie dye effect and a pair of shades finished his party ensemble. Wad had a matching pair of sunglasses, brilliant lime green boardshorts, his own tie-dyed shirt was a bit more modest, all topped off with a crazy worn out straw hat. They were a sight. When they had boarded the bus earlier there was a clump of juniors already seated. As they walked by, snickers and whispers could be heard, Knot ignored it but poked Wad in the back, "They think you're cute, they want to kiss you," he teased with a high voice and a sing-song sound to his comment.

It was loud and the bus was full of chatter as the convoy pulled out of the University parking lot. Parents and friends stood waving and some of the juniors were excitedly waving back.

They settled in for what would be a long ride. The sound of opening soda cans and the rustling of snack bags as they were being torn open was how it started. The atmosphere was lively and this weekends get-away, promised to be a great diversion from studies and the weeks of tough hazing the students had all just been through. All the seniors knew the plan but the juniors were left in the dark. Knot remembered his own trip back when he and Arthit were in their first year, it made him smile.

Aim sat with P'Dear in the very back seat and Knot teased him, "Can you make it a whole weekend without your girlfriend?" Aim kicked the back of his seat, jolting both him and Wad.

Wad reached his arm in the air and gave Aim the finger.

Knot was pleased to see that Wad was trying hard to have fun. He was smiling and it was a wonderful sight.

When the bus stopped for a break, they both went to the bathroom to pee, it would still be two more hours before they reached the beach resort. Knot bought some bottled water and Wad picked up a car magazine. "Really, you're going to read?  You're that bored talking to me?' Knot joked with him as he tugged him along, his arm around him, they took their time getting back on the bus.

.....................

With so many students piling into the resort hotel at once, there was some confusion with the juniors but,  Knot had no problem finding the room he was to share with Wad. He was in the same one as last time, Wad followed as he made a bee-line to the door. They dumped their bags and Knot turned the air conditioning on high. "I don't want to come back here tonight after we eat and get cooked." The fan started to blow hard and the cool air poured out. Wad watched as he stood right in front of it, he held his shirt up and let the air fill it like a balloon. A long sigh and "Ahhs" as he did.

"I'm starving," Knot patted Wad's shoulder, "See, all that working out we've been doing your appetite is getting better, he smiled, "Building muscles takes food dude!" He messed up Wad's hair and they headed out. They were at the far end of the resort,  it was a five-minute walk down to the beach and the area that was set up for eating.

"Do you know what time dinner is?"  Knot shook his head, '"No,  but I'm sure Kongpop won't leave it too late, if he does,  you and I will just go raid the kitchen ourselves."  Knot raised his brows, you really are hungry."  Wad rubbed his belly and nodded, "I told you, starved," with his rare smile.