Chapter, 5, Everybody's Monday

Tan found Wad exactly where he'd expected.  Helping the boy to the car he had his arm around the frail young man.  His skin was off-colour and Tan could feel he was shaking.  "Let's get you home."

Wad didn't say anything,  in fact, he couldn't bring himself to look at Tan.  Once in the driveway,  Wad sat still in the car,  Tan could see his hesitation,  "Everyone inside the walls of this home loves you Wad,  come,  you have nothing to be afraid of here."

Walking around the car,  he opened the door and helped Wad exit.  

Inside,   Fuse and Tee were sitting at the kitchen table,  Dok was serving from a steaming pot,  their bowls of rice porridge.  She looked at Tan's face,  his concern showed and he spoke with a soft voice.  "You must be hungry" as he walked with Wad to the kitchen.

Once she had filled everyone's bowls she took the baby from Tee who had ChaiSon on his lap.  He was making baby sounds and was happy having already eaten.  

Wad sat with the small family his head down staring into his porridge.  He wasn't crying or speaking,  he wasn't anything.  

Dok encouraged him to eat,  his hand was shaking as he brought the spoon to his mouth.  He had no appetite and was doing it more for her sake than his own.  

The envelopes still rested in the centre of the table until his eyes crossed over them and,  seeing his name written in the golden ink,  he looked to Dok.

"Those are yours."  

Shoving his bowl aside,  he grabbed the bundle and untied the white ribbon.  His hands were shaking even more now. 

"Boy's,  Dok speaking to Tee and Fuse,  would you take ChaiSon to his room and pick out something for him to wear today,  I'll come in a while and we can get him dressed

"Boy's,  Dok speaking to Tee and Fuse,  would you take ChaiSon to his room and pick out something for him to wear today,  I'll come in a while and we can get him dressed.  She handed the baby to Tan,  who then handed him to Tee.  ChaiSon smiled and was slobbering on his hand, it was almost fully in his mouth.  Fuse followed,  they went down the hall giving Dok,  Tan and Wad some privacy.

The moment they were out of sight,  Wad's head fell,  he was silent,  he shook as the tears flowed down his face.  Dok stood and went behind him,  with her arms wrapped around him she held tight and let him cry it out.  Tan could only sit and watch as the brother and sister had their moment.  

Dok's eyes told Tan to speak and say something,  anything.  

"I think you're supposed to open one of those envelopes each day Wad.  Prem had those in his hand last night."

Lifting his eyes to Tan,  confused,  he nodded and separated the Sunday envelope from the rest,  setting the remaining six aside.  Still unable to control his hands,  he handed it to Dok,  she carefully broke the thick wax seal and opened the heavy parchment envelope.  Inside,  written in the same golden ink and in highly decorative calligraphy,  were instructions for Wad to go to the Siam Hotel in the heart of Bangkok.  The only other thing in the envelope was the Hotel Managers business card,  which the instruction said to present at the front desk and "Tell them your name".