Chapter 4, A Blur of Flowers and Faces

Sleeping had proved itself a difficult prospect.  He had the patio door open in the hotel room all night,  the sound and constant hum of the city below,  lulling him occasionally but,  countless times he found himself awake and staring at the ceiling.

Room service delivered a light breakfast and coffee. Sitting at the table in his room,  he had the photo he always carried in his wallet,  he held it in his hand,  it's edges tattered but Wad's face still clear.  

After eating,  he showered,  dressed and headed out to knock the last few things from his list.  

First,  a haircut,  then it was off to a boutique to pick up the new made to measure suit.  Tailored to fit like a glove,  it was a sleek classic Armani,  double button,  flat front with slim lapels and silk lined pockets and jacket body.  A luxury item for sure,  and it felt like it too.  Wad's was also there,  and,  would stay there until Prem could bring him back and have his measurements done.  There were also custom shoes,  made with the highest quality leather and styled for the young and fashion aware.  The shop professionals fitted him,  they all commented on their own work and that he did indeed look elegantly radiant.  With the perfect fit complete,  they carried the suit bag to his waiting car and it was off to the next stop.  

...............

On the way,  he texted Dok,  the caterer would arrive around five in the afternoon,  they would have everything with them,  she could relax.  They would set up,  serve and clean up.  He also forewarned her that there would be a delivery of flowers arriving right around the same time,  some were for the food tables,  other arrangements would be placed around the house,  and there would be an extra large one that was,  for him,  his arms would be full when Wad came through the door.

Her reply was a series of hearts and happy faces.

He made several other stops,  there were documents to be signed and a few other elements of his bombshell surprise that he attended to.

When he got back to the hotel room,  late in the afternoon,  he showered again and spent the remaining time pacing and wringing his hands,  he spun the white gold and platinum ring on his finger.  Looking at it,  a tear.   Going over the list,  a hundred times,  making sure he'd forgotten nothing.  He had never been so anxious in his life,  his heart rate was through the roof.

.........................  

To pass the morning by,  he cleaned his room.  He washed the dishes and made his bed,  he did laundry and cleaned the floors.  Looking at the clock so many times,  it seemed to have quit working.  Each project he did,  only used five minutes and,  the day was taking forever to pass,    He even pulled it down from the wall and checked the batteries but,  no it was fine,  the stopping of time was only in his imagination.  Knot's day was anxiety filled too.  His chance to pin Wad down and speak with him would be in a few hours.  Everything he wanted to say,  rehearsed and memorised over and over.  He forced himself to eat and,  decided he'd shower as late in the day as possible,  leaving it until six-thirty, just before getting dressed and heading to Dok's.