36 - "One Step Back"

Start from the beginning

Turning on the light, the room had a familiar scent. It smelled just like Cilia. He wondered if this was her room. He could see a bunch of perfumes, lotions and shower gels lined up on her counter top. He looked around her room which was messy with clothes strewn out all over the place. He smirked, he didn't think she was the messy type. The smile quickly came off Breeze's face though once he noticed what he was doing.

Walking further into the room, Breeze opened her small closet and a bunch of clothes came tumbling out. He picked up a sparkly silver dress and put it to his nose, letting the fruity smell settle in his brain. Then he held it out in front of him as he examined it. He instantly remembered it. It was the dress Cilia wore the first night they had sex. The craziest sex experience he's ever had. She was so annoying yet innocent and clueless around that time, with her crazy questioning and reactions due to her lack of sexual experience. He remembered being so close to not wanting to have sex with her at all that night.

He looked around, stumbling all over things. He saw two cellphones sitting on top of a pillow. He walked over and when he picked both of them up, he examined them and noticed the backs were missing along with the batteries, SIM cards and memory cards. He dropped the useless devices back on the pillow and exited the bedroom.

He was so confused. Where were they? He paused as it started to come to him. Did they run away? That couldn't be it. They left behind all their valuable things. That would explain their cellphones though. They took it apart in order not to be found...leaving the shower on so they could give the illusion someone was here. "No, no, no..." Breeze said to himself, rushing to the front of the house. He found the light switch and turned it on, getting ready to head back toward the back to do more digging. He needed to think.

He was surprised though when he came face to face with a white envelope dangling from the ceiling. He peered at it and in cursive handwriting it read 'Breeze.' Breeze looked up and saw an extremely long piece of clear scotch tape was attached to the ceiling, coming all the way down to the back of the envelope. He wondered why the person would go to such extreme lengths instead of just placing it on a table or something, but then again he guessed he couldn't miss a letter dangling in mid-air.

It was clearly for him since his name was written on it. Breeze felt his throat close up as paranoia got to him. He carefully positioned the knife back inside his jeans in a way he wouldn't get cut, all his attention on the note. Did she know he would be coming here? He ripped open the envelope and immediately recognized Cilia's handwriting.

Dear Dion,

I don't know what name to address you by while writing this. I said Breeze on the cover because I assume you hate me so you don't want me to say Dion, but this is personal so I want you to understand I am being sincere. So I'll talk to you and not you're street character. I won't go into how much of a great guy you are and I'm glad that I met you because I'm sure you already know that. I won't even say that I'm sorry for stealing from you—because I'm not. I did it for someone I loved and I won't feel bad for that. I will say that robbing you was a mistake because it turned out to be for nothing. The people that you love the most don't always turn out to be the ones who feel the same way. So yes I left New York and I left with you're money. It's only to keep me afloat for a while. I will return it to you one day, though. Very soon, once I get on my feet. I know you hate me, but if you do, maybe you never loved me. I don't say that to guilt you into being mad for what I did to you, but just think about it. Maybe we never really liked each other anyway.