Chapter 60

"This is delicious!" I exclaimed around my mouth full of won ton. Unlike Ben earlier I put my hand in front of my mouth. "When did you learn how to do this?"

"I had a master class in China when Rose and I visited not long after we married."

"Told you Dad's cooking is the best."

"Maybe not better than Mike's," Christian said jealously. "Where did he learn to cook?"

"His dad," I said and swallowed. "All of his uncles and aunts on both sides are or were lawyers, but his dad opened up a restaurant near Blaenau Festinniog."

"Does he still have it?"

"I don't know," I said sadly. "I don't know anything about my family."

Ben put his hand on my thigh. "You know your aunt now."

"One of them, yeah," I smiled. "Vicky's great."

"You'd like her, Dad. Loud, brash, carefree."

Christian rolled his eyes. "I'm not dating her."

"Good," I said. "She's only a little older than Albert."

"And I wasn't suggesting that you do. But if –"

"Christian."

"So, Grace, when are you dancing?" Ben asked.

"A little after dinner. Though, the lounge isn't going to be big enough even if we push everything back."

"How big is this dance?" Ben asked in astonishment and looked around the room.

"Oh, the room's about the right size, but there's too much stuff."

"State dining room," Christian said. "You'll have plenty of space there."

"Isn't it set up for a posh dinner?" Ben asked. "For the Indian PM?"

"Oh it's next week, but there's plenty of floor space," he waved off.

"People won't be busy in there?"

"Probably," Ben said dryly.

"Other option is the ball room."

"Oooooooh." That was me. I may have been grinning like a little girl.

"If they've finished polishing it," Christian said. "And you probably need to practice dancing for your posh party."

Ben made a face.

"Don't be like that, Benji. You know how it is."

"I hate dancing."

"You like dancing with Grace. And don't argue it. I saw you grinning like a love sick fool." His tone was light and teasing whilst remaining fatherly. "And you need to decide on a dress style soon, Grace, unless you don't want to go to it."

"And miss Ben having to dance the waltz a lot?" I asked. "I'm so there."

"Thanks," he muttered.

"Oh shut your face, you'll enjoy the food and conversation. Anyway, what sort of dress am I supposed to wear to something like that?"

"Ask Caroline," Christian said quickly. "They're coming over for dinner tomorrow."

*

The ball room was huge. I shouldn't have expected and less, but I was still blown away when I saw it. The floor was a polished to a perfect shine, the walls were pure white with gold leaf on the relief work and there was a large table on one side that had a white cloth on it and would no doubt have drinks laid out on it soon enough. All of this was lit up by massive crystal chandeliers. Christian only put the middle one, the largest on. It lit up all the space I needed and stood there, alone in the centre of the vast room, I felt like I was on a stage.