Chapter 37

"What happened?" Simeon asked softly as soon as I got into the little lounge. "Are you ok?"

I nodded and sat next to him on the sofa. I leaned against him a little and after a moment he put his arm, his really heavy arm, around me. I didn't mind the weight at all. I'd quickly called Mum and Dad before coming over here and had very nearly cried again. They were in a car on their way over even though it was going to take about ten hours and I'd told them to stay at home. I think it was knowing that they were going to be here by morning that had me in tears.

Clara put a cup of tea in my hands. I cradled it like a life line, a soothing balm after what happened. Then I noticed the food smell.

"Is that Chinese?" I asked.

Tarq passed me a plate that had a thick towel covering it. Underneath was a carton of chicken chow mein and chopsticks. I put my tea on the arm of the sofa (Master Clarke's pet hate) and began eating. I was sort of surprised I was feeling coordinated enough to use chopsticks, but I managed to not spill anything. After a few minutes of just eating I told them all what happened – Chi had gone out to get the rest of the guys in our block Jonathon joined us too and Simeon gave up his seat for him – and was once again allowed to speak without interruption.

And then... Then I went to bed.

The result of falling asleep early was rising about two hours before normal. That did mean I was able to run a bath and have a soak before breakfast which was nice. I emerged feeling sort of ready to face the say – another day of rumours, whispering, stares and, as I discovered when I got downstairs, press.

"We've escorted them all off campus," Samuel said and sat with me in the dining room where I was waiting for breakfast.

The room was empty otherwise as everyone else was just getting up. I hadn't turned any lights on, the dim light from the kitchen was almost as soothing as the bath had been and I liked it.

"I do not get what's do difficult about 'don't go to Eton'," he grumbled. "I thought that was black and white. Jonathon's going to bring Ben over later and stick around for a while."

I nodded. "Figured he would after last night."

Clara had come to check on me before she went to bed and I was still awake. She'd said he'd spent a little time in Ben's room both to pick up some clothes for him and to simply be alone for a while. Before he left he asked her to thank me for the first aid I'd performed and for sticking by his nephew as much and for as long as possible whilst in hospital. She said he'd been pretty quiet all night, withdrawn almost. I could totally understand it.

A month ago it had been his younger brother. Ok, it wasn't a terrorist that had hurt Ben, but once you're dead, you're dead. It doesn't matter how you get that way or whose fault it is. Dead's dead.

He'd almost been the Prince Regent. Then depending on how it all worked with his abdication I guess he would have been second in line to the throne or something if Ben had been killed last night.

More than that, he'd come close to losing two family members in the space of a month. I'd be sticking around for a while too.

"Have Mum and Dad turned up yet?" I asked.

Samuel nodded. "They got here at about one and sat with you for a bit. Master Clarke let them sleep in his house. I can get them up if you want."

I shook my head. "Let them sleep."

Soon enough everyone began coming downstairs and breakfast was put out. Lots of people asked me if I was ok, on the way to literature even more people Ben and I knew asked questions as we passed one another, mostly if Ben was ok, and I didn't think I'd even been so glad to get to class. Maybe except from on Tuesday morning after everyone found out that Ben and I were together.