Chapter 7

Everyone hurried around to get the instruments they needed and they formed an orchestra around me. It was a bare bones orchestra, but it was all we needed to make this work and sound good.

"John, you're going to have to give it some puff to be heard amongst all that," Carter said and then raised his hands to conduct.

Silently he counted us in and then I began to play. We ran it though without issue, every note was prefect and we had an audience outside by the time we finished. It was the senior staff of the school, the board of governors, some politicians, press and the king. I hadn't seen any of them arrive even though we were facing them. They all started applauding apart from the press who took photos, and then they walked into the room. Master Carter stepped forward, and was quickly introduced to the King.

King Christian was a tall, broad shouldered man with closely cut brown hair, light brown eyes and a thin face that lit up and looked a decade younger than his forty something years when he smiled. Ben definitely took after his mother, but there was something that was just like his father in his stance, the way he saw people and his relaxed manor.

"This is the first class of the year?" I heard him ask our master. His voice had a deep, resonant timbre that held warmth. He looked away from Carter and over to us, specifically me. "You're Grace, right? Ben's friend?"

"Yes, Your Majesty," I said and carefully curtsied.

He smiled. "That's a mean bit of skill you have there. How long have you been playing?"

"Since I was four, Sir," I said.

"Grades?"

"I got my eighth about a year ago."

"A certain dicky bird tells me you also do Bond theme songs?"

"Ben told you about that? Clara did the vocals, Sir," I said and gestured to her.

She stepped forward after giving her cello to Andre or Rupert to hold steady for her. She curtsied perfectly, it was like she'd practiced.

"He said your voice is something," King Christian said. "Could we perhaps trouble you for a song?"

"If, Your Majesty, I get the other half of C to come in we'll have all the instruments we need," Carter suggested. "I know the boys know it. We did it just before summer. And all the girls can sight read."

"By all means, do it Master Carter," the king said.

We quickly organised ourselves. We moved ourselves to the window at the king's suggestion which meant we were in the lightest part of the room which was good for reading the music. We all efficiently set music stands up, took our seats and were ready to go with very little discussion. The other group was mostly girls which made up for the minority of them in my group. I was allowed to stay on violin and with our maestro conducting we began to play.

I was instantly hit with the burning rush of excitement that performing gave. I noticed that we were a little ropy as we hadn't all played together before, but to the untrained ear I knew it would sound good. I caught the eye of the girl I was sat next to and saw the same excitement in hers. She grinned at me and then turned back to her music.

Before we all knew it the song was over and we were called to a stop. Again there was a round of applause and photos, the camera crew following me around got everything down on film and praise was given all around.

"What say to a bit of competition, Dad?" Ben asked appearing out of nowhere.

"Ben," the king frowned and turned to his son. "What are you doing here?"