Chapter 42.1

Before I knew it, it was time to get ready. Before that could happen though, Johnny sat me and Ben down on the sofa and took us through a few things.

"You'll be arriving in separate cars – the only way I could get Granny to let you come, Grace. Apparently you've not been together long enough to do this."

I saw Ben scowl. "She was only with Granddad for a year before they got engaged."

"I know. A fact I reminded her of." Johnny adjusted his bow tie, he'd got ready a few minutes ago. "But you know she's more old fashioned royal than we are. So you'll arrive a few moments apart. No hand holding in public until you're inside. Neither of you are drinking tonight either. George wasn't too happy when I told him he couldn't even have half a glass of wine." He rolled his eyes. "Grace, as we're in public you need to curtsy to each of us as you meet us, but that is all the protocol tonight needs. When we leave you'll be going to Kensington in the same car. Questions?"

"Do we have to pose for photos?" Ben asked.

"On the way in yes, individually. Wave a little too. On the way out, no. Just wave a bit as you walk down the stairs."

We both nodded. Mission briefing over.

"Ok, go get ready, Grace. Lord knows it takes women half an hour to get a dress on."

I snorted softly. "Not me it doesn't."

"Grace!" Pippa called from another lounge. She hurried through to the one we were in. "Paul's back and waiting for us. Grab your dress and let's go."

I glanced at Johnny. He nodded with a smile. I jumped up, got my shoes, some jewellery and the dress from the room glad that it was all in a bag thus keeping it a secret from Ben and then hurried down stairs to the 'ready room' as Pippa called it. Caroline was already in there with Ben's granny. I froze by the door. She glanced at me through the mirror she was sat in front of. I curtsied deeply and then stood straight.

Maria was sixty eight, but looked a couple of years younger. Her hair was still perfectly black, her eyes the same colour nearly. Her skin was a natural deep tan which gave her almond eyes, narrow nose and high cheekbones an exotic look which was helped a long way by her full lips. She was still rather trim as well and I knew that if I looked half as good as her when I was nearly seventy I'd be extremely lucky. She was in a black satin dress that hugged her narrow waist, rouched a little over her not quite flat stomach and had lace over the bust and three quarters of the way down the arms. Her hair was in a sleek chignon and pinned in place with real diamonds arranged to look like an expensive, decorative hair slide. It sort of looked like she was wearing a tiara backwards.

Paul applied the last bit of hair spray. "I am finished, Your Majesty."

Right. That was how I addressed her. Your Majesty. I didn't understand why since her son was King and all, but that wasn't important right now. All that mattered right now was that I get this right and oh boy, did I want to get this right. Especially as she didn't think I should be here today. I'd also always admired her poise and grace. Especially when she was under pressure.

"Thank you, Paul," she said and stood up.

Pippa took my dress from me and the Queen turned towards me. She looked me over. I wasn't much to behold at the moment. I was in plain jeans and a boring t-shirt. I had a feeling she knew about me and Ben messing about in the pool earlier and I had a feeling she didn't approve. I wondered if she approved of me at all since I didn't have a drop of royal blood.

"Miss Bennett," she said and gestured to a spot a few feet in front of her.

Obediently I followed the summons and dropped another, though slightly smaller, curtsy. My knees were knocking too much to be able to curtsy as I had before.