Chapter Twenty-Three

Start from the beginning

I glance back at Benson. He still has Heather’s attention. Heather’s brow is furrowed, “It looks like something is wrong with your hologram. Let me just look at the settings for a second…”

Benson glances at Josh. Josh smiles encouragingly and then leans over his light keyboard, typing rapidly again. The ten or fifteen kids also begin typing quickly into their holograms. Josh’s grin only grows bigger.

Heather continues struggling with Benson’s hologram. She mutters under her breath, “This offie thing, if I have to call in an offie Tech to fix this…”

Josh waits a few minutes, reading his screen. Then he types a couple quick sentences into his hologram. All small group of kids all nod their heads, almost simultaneously.

Heather’s frustration is growing, “Why is it even doing this? I don’t think I have ever had a problem with holograms in this Teaching room before.”

Benson looks back at Josh questioningly. Josh just holds up one finger, as if to say, ‘just give me a second.’ Josh once again types quickly into his hologram.

Heather straightens quickly, “Huh, that was weird. It seems to be working fine now.  That’s offie strange, but…oh well. As long as it works, may as well not complain, right?”

Benson nods quickly.  Heather walks back to the front of the room. Heather’s Notice makes a loud beeping noise. She glances down at it, “I thought I had that set to vibrate...They must be having problems today in the Techs, I guess.”

A hologram pops up in front of her as she reads the message. Her face grows darker and darker, a frown curling her lips down. She lets out an angry sigh, massaging her temples.

She turns to me, “Rivie, could you watch the kids for a second? I have to go meet Matthew in the…Eating Hall? For some reason…”

I think I hear a snicker from Josh, but when I look over, he is completely straight-faced.

I nod, “Sure, I can watch them. And, my name is Piper.”

“Whatever, Rivie.” She strides out of the room.

I sigh, what am I supposed to do? I don’t know how to deal with these kids. They are ten years. Unlike six years, they can think for themselves. If they want to, they can scheme against me. Josh and Benson have made that obvious. These kids aren’t like the sweet, little six years that will love you with just a compliment and a smile.  It seems that, if the kids don’t like you, they hate you.

I decide to do what Heather has been doing. I just walk up and down the aisles, trying to look intimidating. I can’t lose control of this Teaching room.

As I walk by Josh’s desk, he stands up. He is only slightly taller than me. He’s tall for his age and I’m short for mine. He says quietly, “Can I talk to you quick, at the front of the room?”

I bite my lip. Is this part of a trick? What does he want to say? I try to read his expression, but it is completely blank.

“Sure, I guess,” I hope I don’t regret saying this.

I follow Josh to the front of the room. Kids steal glances at us as we walk past.  A couple whispers even float through the air. I just bite my lip harder and keep walking.

When we get far enough away from the other kids, Josh begins quickly whispering to me, “You don’t like Heather, right?”

How do I respond to that?  Should I be honest? Do I defend her?

I just ask feebly, “Why?”

Josh shrugs, “Just wondering…”

I just stare back in silence. I hope he doesn’t know how much he scares me. I hold no power over these kids. Why would they obey me?