You Are The Best Thing

It was a busy day ahead for Johnny Huang. Due to the heat from the lights, sweat was dripping down from his forehead to his cheek. Wiping it with the back of hand, he posed again in the direction the photographer wanted. A woman rushed to his spot with objects in her hands.

"Johnny, please stop touching your forehead. You're messing up your makeup by wiping it away with your hands." Huffing, the woman started applying again, little by little, the foundation and the rest of the necessities on his face. Work resumed again after she left the area. Day turned night and the time told everyone that they were running over the schedule.

"Okay," said the director and photographer, after agreeing with the pictures taken. "I think this is a wrap, everyone. You all did a great job. Especially you, Johnny!"

Nothing could make Johnny's mood better, even with the praises he got from everyone. But, being the professional he is, he learned how to school his face, smiling at the compliments he kept hearing.

Once everyone finished packing their things and hauling their equipment out, Johnny was already dressed waiting to talk to the photographer. It took him about another half an hour to meet with the photographer.

"Hey, Mr. Liu Xing!" called out Johnny, bowing at the man. Liu Xing approached Johnny with a huge smile on his face. "It was really nice to meet you and a great opportunity to work for you."

Shaking his head and waving his hand at him in a disagreement, Liu Xing replied back. "Oh no! The honor's mine. It's finally nice to meet you. Your friend told me of your professional ethics and he wasn't kidding. You also saved us trouble in finding new model in such a short time. I should be the one thanking you."

With both men deflecting and giving their humble respects to each other, they exchanged contacts. Both said farewell and left the building.

Inside his vehicle, Johnny outstretched his arms above his head. He yawned a very long one, and asked Zheng Ge, his friend and assistant at the same time, what his schedules were for the next day.

"Well, there's another photo shoot from ten to one pm for tomorrow, an interview at three pm for an hour, and a Q&A for Elle magazine at five thirty for about half an hour," answered Zheng Ge nonchalantly as he looked at Johnny's personal schedule book.

Upon hearing this, he let out a moan and plopped his head on the back of the car seat. Tired from the whole day shoot, he closed his eyes for a second. Just as he was about to fall into a deep sleep, something woke him up.

Quickly, he grabbed the vibrating phone behind him and looked at the person who was calling him. It was the one person that brought him joy every time he would call or message him. This time the person wanted to face time him, so Johnny accepted.

Seeing the bright flushed cheeks and thick luscious lips, it brought a genuine smile on Johnny's face.

"Hey, Baobei! How's it going in Las Vegas?" Johnny questioned the person on the phone. Rubbing his eyes, he gave another yawn.

The person frowned, watching his lover looking sleepy and tired. "Did I wake you up? I can always call you back at another time. Don't want to make you even more tired."

Somehow Johnny's ears twitched when he heard those words. He opened his eyes wide, wanting to prove to his boyfriend he wasn't sleeping. "I wasn't sleeping, Timmy. I was just closing my eye cause I just got back from a photo shoot. Plus, we rarely get to talk, so don't hang up. How's your concert then?"

Timmy was surprised at what Johnny had just told him, but he answered Johnny's question. "My concert was successful. It went on without a hitch. Look, don't tell me you took on another job? You just finished fourteen hours of filming yesterday! Today, you had ten hours of photo shoot. And, tomorrow you have three more works scheduled. Are you trying to get yourself killed!?" exclaimed Timmy with frustration on his face.

Sighing, Johnny let his eyes look up the ceiling of his car, instead of at Timmy. 

"Look at me!"

"Sorry, Timmy. I know you warned me about overworking myself, but I need this. We need this. That way, we can save enough to maybe retire early."

It was Timmy's turn to let out a sigh.

"Look, yes we need the money, but there won't be a future if you get sick from overworking. Your health is much more important than your job. You can always get more work later on. Maybe a bigger gig like that Operation Red Sea. Or a Hollywood agency will contact you." Timmy shrugged his shoulders. "You never know these kinds of things. As long as you brush on your English."

"Yes, mom," said Johnny, rolling his eyes at him.

"Roll your eyes at me and I will hang up on you."

With that hint of threat, Johnny gave his best puppy look while he begged. "Don't you dare! If you do, no more coaching on you of your best looks and posing positions for photo shoots. And I will sulk."

Seeing the man acting like a child had the man on the phone laugh till he couldn't breathe. Whenever one of these two people laugh, the other would join. And that's what Johnny did.

The two men talked for a long time in the car. It was fine since the car ride to Johnny's house was long enough for them to have a long conversation. With his long busy schedule, and many more tomorrow, talking to Timmy had boosted Johnny's energy. Sometimes, you just need your lover to talk to about your problems and the tiredness will go away.

Credit: edited by withaslightsmile