Part 17

Cara's POV

That was just like dad. I started banging the button for the bus to stop. Betty gave me the thumbs up and let me get off. I ran and ran. I was still a good 5 minutes away from the tower block even though I'd took the bus. I finally got there and ran into the lobby, it used to be five stars and posh, but had decreased its standards and now was full of people with benefits and 5 or 6 children. I walked over to the lift. Out of order. I asked the woman at the reception desk how I could get to the roof. She pointed to a long staircase. '30 floors up.' She said. I groaned and started walking. 5 floors up and I was trudging along, my head down and face red. I kept going and going until I couldn't take anymore. I stopped on floor 16 for a rest on the tiled floor in between the two stair cases. I slapped myself to keep me awake and kept going. All the stairs were newly cleaned and I slipped once or twice nearly breaking my back. Finally I reached the 30th floor and stepped up onto the roof, patting myself down and pinching my cheeks. I held my hands to my chest as the strong breeze nearly knocked me over. I ran to the front of the roof and that's when I saw the back of two men. 

********

It was dad and Mr Davies. I ran over and screamed. 'DAD GET OFF HIM!' I said hitting him. He turned around and held a gun to my face. 'Stay back you slag.' He said coldly. I didn't know what to do. He was going to shoot I knew he was. I saw that he had Mr Davies by the neck, he was bruised and bleeding all over. I stared at him hopelessly. 'I'm sorry.' I mouthed, I knew what dad was capable of. I looked around me, then I looked down. It was so high. I didn't know what to do, I didn't know what I could do. 'Dad please.' I cried. He held the gun from me to Mr Davies, they were dangerously close to the edge. I looked down and saw people gathering on the ground below, they looked like ants from here. Police cars surrounded the ground and car park, I knew there wasn't long till they came up to the roof. And when that happened, dad would do something terrible, to Mr Davies, I knew he would.