Meanwhile

Geno sat in the save screen alone, staring blankly at his arms wrapped around his legs. The terrified face of Death kept flashing in his mind, and haunted him whenever he closed his eyes. He recalled himself being horrified, and desperately thinking of a way, any way, to stop Death's panic attack.

Why on Earth did he do that? He could have just abandoned Death and possibly watch him die. Which was what Geno was looking for.

...right?

Geno buried his face in his arms.

He's just an unwelcome visitor who came to ruin my life. I don't care about him. He's better off dead. Hell, why did I even try to calm him?

I don't care if anything happened to him. I don't care. I don't care. I -

"I DON'T CARE!!"

Geno startled himself with a scream. His eyes went wide and he stared at nothing. Tears silently formed around his eyes and soundlessly plopped onto his scarf, staining it.
He reburied his face in his arms. He choked quietly and forced his mind on only one thought.

I don't care what happens to Death.

He woke up with a start. When did he fall asleep?

Geno stood up and surveyed his surroundings. Same old save screen. Same chest wound. Everything looked untouched.

He was still perpetually dying.

Geno sat back down and did his usual staring into blank space and waiting.

...for what?

He suddenly realised.

He was waiting for Death. Death would usually show up frequently into the save screen and talk with Geno. But this time he never came for a long time.

Geno sat and waited. He didn't know why he was waiting. After all,

I don't care about him. I hate him.

He was an intruder. Why was Geno anticipating his arrival? He was supposed to be grateful that motherfucker didn't show up.

Yet, he had a weird empty feeling inside of him. Something was missing. Something wasn't right.

Geno decided to forget about it. After all, Death always comes. Eventually he will. Eventually.

Geno lay down and slept.

He woke up.

Death wasn't here.

Rinse and repeat.

Geno grew anxious.

He felt a dangerous worry.

This isn't right.

Death was supposed to be here already. Yet, the other half of Geno's brain kept telling him, He isn't here. You should feel lucky.

He was trapped in a conflict. Part of him felt he should be happy with the unwelcome intruder's absence. And part of him wanted Death to hurry the fuck up and come already.

More rinse and repeat.

Geno was starting to lose his mind.

He needed the company he was getting so used to.

Geno was beginning to realise.

"I can't go on without you anymore."

He whispered into the emptiness.

"Please...please come."

"Oh...no...where are you? Please be okay."

"I need you so badly."

"Death?"

"Where are you?"

"I'm scared...."

"Don't abandon me. Please. I beg of you."

And then the words became no more as Geno's whispering faded into soundless tears.