Bearing Witness to a Grim Reality

The sounds of battle swiftly faded to the rear as the trio made hard past the blackened spot where the Kaal Eran had stood and beyond, aiming for the ajar gates. And then they were through, the massive portals passing silently on either side.

Hooves beating a rapid tune on the flagstones of the Way beyond the eastern gate, the trio pounded down the long slope leading away from the pass. Thus they passed through the midst of the Cliff Hammer camp set up as home to the garrison, which normally occupied the titanic stone gates.

"Burn me to ash," Will husked in horror just loud enough to be heard over the gallop of their mounts and the winds of passage. "It's a slaughter!"

Eyes wide as he stared out at what was left of the camp, devastated by some force that had destroyed the semi-permanent tents with windstorm ferocity, Lawrence could only agree. The Cliff Hammers that had called this place home were, for the most part, piled in uneven heaps at relatively central locations throughout the camp, bodies torn and broken. Not one weapon was visible anywhere, speaking to a surprise attack. If an enemy force was good enough to catch Cliff Hammers by surprise, they were very good indeed, better than any humans.

That left only one disheartening possibility: the Kaal Eran he had managed to destroy by calling on the power of the Tree Staff, had led his dark soldiers against the Cliff Hammers before springing the ambush. Somehow he transported those things, these Tjor'riin, trolls and Wendigo, as the dark elves called them, into the very heart of the camp to take the Cliff Hammers unaware, slaughtering the lot of them before the alarm could be raised. By the fresh look of some of the bodies, it most likely happened last night, when he, Will and Cajastus were bedded down in the heart of the pass.

The question now that begged answering was: did the Kaal Eran, obviously yet not in force on Reuthan soil but with some sort of scouting force present, plan yet other ambushes and attacks as they pushed further into the Hammer? They seemed capable of springing them just about anywhere, even in territory thought completely secure from the enemy.

His answer was swift in coming, although not exactly what he expected. All three heads twisted to look over their shoulders as a bugle, an obvious human call to arms, sounded behind them from somewhere close to the gate. Not an ambush then, but a pursuit.

"Shards!" Will hissed, jerking his horse to a halt before he passed into the crossroads lying at the hill's foot, just beyond the Cliff Hammer camp. What few refugees that had managed to escape ahead of them through the gate, were already specks in the distance on both forks, the slaughter in the camp spurring them on to great speed. Lawrence and Cajastus reined in beside him. As they did, the young lord looked over at the big Ironstormer, a look of concern on his tired face.

"Which way now?"

"A good question," Lawrence immediately replied, twisting to also look back towards the gate. Just in time for his keen vision to spot a knot of horsemen swinging out of the bush on this side of the gate to pound down the Way towards them. They wore unmistakable gold and white.

"The dark elves have managed to keep the dark soldiers from pursuing but it looks like the Suntroopers haven't given up on trying to catch us. I see nearly a company riding towards us."

"I suggest you press on to Galental, then." Cajastus said, reining his horse around. "For I go north, to Kaph and Caliphra beyond. My people await me."

Nodding in silent agreement with the big Caliphran's decision, Lawrence brought his horse close to extend a hand. A hand which Cajastus immediately and without hesitation, took in a strong grip.

"Fare you well then, my friend," the Ironstorm prince said with a resolute look. "Light watch over you and guide you in your efforts to free your kingdom."

"And to you, Lawrence," Cajastus returned. "I've you to thank for both my life and my kingdom. I won't forget this."

"Nor will I forget that we've fought together, sealing the words we signed in Tal Morun binding our two nations with blood as we battle the Shadow and the Return."

Cajastus nodded, a slight smile touching his lips.

"I'll return and meet you at the Storm Keep as soon as I can," he said, releasing Lawrence's hand. "Hopefully you'll have your Tree Staff and be ready to retake your kingdom by then. Call to battle and Caliphra will answer in the Light." And then he was kicking his horse into motion, heading quickly towards the northern fork.

"Go with the Light!"

"Go with the Light," Lawrence echoed before Cajastus was out of earshot. And then he was gone, swiftly dwindling into the distance.

"Now for us," the prince said, wheeling his horse towards a northeastern running fork. "To Galental and hopefully an ally or two." He planted his toes into his horse's flanks, Will mimicking him and the two took off like they'd both been shot from a catapult, sprinting onto the northeastern fork and away.

****