Chapter 2: Words of Honor

"And they will take up their charge, their mighty task,

Upon reaching the age of their ascension and maturity.

The Weapons will know their Wielders' soul and spirit,

And the Wielders will know their Weapons, haft and blade.

Together they shall prepare for the Return of the Darkness."

- from the Norak Utterance, 4th Stanza

It was half through the first watch of the afternoon by the time Lawrence found himself once again walking the hallways of the Tor, a thoughtful expression on his face and his mind still mulling with his lunch date with Nerise. So engrossed was he with those memories, he nearly ran over the venerable officer that had been both mentor and tutor for the last five cycles.

"Hoi, lad, mind your path," Eras Grimnor commanded as he carefully stepped out of the way of the massively powerful young prince.

Hearing the voice of his mentor, Lawrence quickly jerked his head up even as he brought himself to a swift halt. In doing so, he found the wiry general standing a pace away, dressed in a neatly pressed uniform with the crest of the Unified Ge'e Darian Companies on his shoulder, just beneath the crest of Talemon.

"General!" he replied with a bright smile of welcome. "I heard the Companies were still in the Hammer, overseeing the Hernakese retraining mission. When did you get back to Tal Morun?"

"Just in time to nearly be run over, it would appear, my young friend," Grimnor dryly pointed out, reaching out to clap a friendly hand onto Lawrence's heavily muscled shoulder when a look of sheepish chagrin rolled over the big Ironstorm's face.

"I'm afraid I was somewhat distracted, general," he said, his half smile apologetic. "I beg your forgiveness."

"Pshaw." Grimnor waved dismissively, a smile appearing on his tanned face. "There's nothing to forgive, my boy. As big as a bull tunda you may be, but not so big I couldn't have avoided you." His face tightened slightly. "Just don't be losing your focus on the field of battle, that's all I ask."

The gentle reminder was enough to push any thought of his dalliance at the Spur to the back of Lawrence's mind and, with a speed Grimnor had never before seen, he refocused.

"With your teachings and guidance, general, that won't happen any time soon," the powerful Ironstorm prince promised, his face suddenly all grim angles and intensity. Used to the expression that made most men reach for their swords, Grimnor nodded in satisfaction as he gave Lawrence's shoulder a slap even as he silently marveled at his star pupil's growing abilities.

"Excellent. Now, where were you headed, your office? Come, I'll join you and tell you what brings me back to the capital of our great nation!"

It was met with resistance when Lords Cadmon and Bethane first suggested the once-renegade general have input on Lawrence's training as a prince of the realm. Not the least amount came from Tenne, Stylles and Garth, who all doubted the former rebel's ability to truly be loyal to House Ironstorm and Queen Jeorgina.

However, the lean, hawk-nosed lord quickly found supporters in the form of Jeorgina, Jorge, lords in the Chamber and, of course, his cousin Kent after retaining his title and rank following his trial. That support came for the most part because of his efforts in the Hammer Peninsula. With the military in disarray following Jerald's death, he had marched at the head of a thousand Ge'e Darian Blacks into the heart of the swirling battle for Hernak and put courage back into the hearts of the Talemonese troops there. Within two moons, the conquest of the Hammer kingdom was complete, the borders with Kaph secured and Gurney Mak in chains in the Chamber.