The Shadow Strikes

With her image in his mind's eye, Shawn's thoughts raced. A Wielder? He had heard his father, the king and others mention such a thing, along with whispers of the so-called 'sons of Ironstorm' and the Norak Utterance. Instead of being words of mystery and names unknown to him, he oddly felt comfortable, as if long familiar with them. 

It was the same with the name 'Ironstorm'. Hearing it was like remembering it, as if he once wore it. And saying it out loud conjured images of an auburn haired woman, a lithely powerful man and several children, all grouped around him, each as familiar to him as the name seemed to be.

But what did it mean? Shawn's face abruptly tightened with determination and he reached for a towel to wipe away the perspiration that had returned onto his face in his moments of inactivity. If long cycles amongst the elves had taught him anything, it was the need for answers. The towel joined others in the corner as he strode determinedly towards the room's entrance. He would have his, even if it meant taking on the Ka'thesck himself!

KeLarion sighed as he looked up from the stack of reports he was slowly working through via lamplight. And he almost started with surprise to find his adopted human son standing silently in the doorway to his small office.

<<Shawn! You startled me there, my boy.>> He forced a smile onto his face. <<How goes the training?>>

The powerful human took a step out of the shadows, into the office and into the circle of light cast by the lamp sitting on a corner of KeLarion's desk. By that light the wiry veteran elf could see the thoughtful expression on Shawn's face.

<<Well enough, father,>> was the young human's careful response. Then: <<I've a few questions about something I overheard you and King Ciradaan discussing a number of days ago.>> Shawn's eyes narrowed slightly as he looked steadily into KeLarion's face.

<<Something about a prophecy called the Norak Utterance, which is supposed to be unfolding all around us.>>

KeLarion's eyes flew wide with surprise. The lad knows of the prophecy? Could he, . . could he possibly have guessed his role in it, despite their attempts to shield him from the truth? Before he could address Shawn's words, his adopted son had pressed on.

<<Actually, maybe I can find the answers for myself, father. Do you have a copy that I can read? A little study may provide me with the answers I seek.>>

There was no way he could deny the lad now; it would reveal their efforts to keep Shawn from the prophecy until his identity was completely confirmed and he was ready to step forward and accept his fate. Nodding, KeLarion turned in his chair to reach into the bookshelf directly behind him where a copy of the Utterance lay nestled in a protective leather tube.

<<Here,>> he said, pulling the tube free, turning and handing it to Shawn, who had stepped closer so KeLarion wouldn't have to reach across the desk. Taking the tube, the powerful human stared down at it for a long moment.

<<This is a copy of the original, with a commentary written by Master Larengor, Voice of the Voice council of the Var Ethisdil,>> the wiry warrior explained with a sigh. <<Hopefully it will give you the answers you're looking for, my son.>>

<<I hope the same thing, Da,>> Shawn replied and with a nod of thanks, he turned and quickly stepped from KeLarion's office and out of sight, leaving a thoughtful and pensive elf in his wake.

Finding a spot on a balcony extending out from the second floor, Shawn carefully sat cross-legged against the balcony's railing, the leather tube across his knees. There, with a starlit sky stretching across heaven's vault above him and with the trees of nearby groves gently swaying in the night's breeze, he stared at what possibly contained the secret to his future and fate.