Chapter 32: When You Wish Upon a. . . (Hannah)

Start from the beginning

"Mason?" Hailey gasped, then ran and threw herself into her best friend's arms, looking as if it had been years since they'd seen each other rather than a couple days. Justin smiled beside me, Sophia starting making gagging sounds, but I turned away.

I was done intervening in my sister's life, she obviously didn't want to ever confess her feelings for Mason and I sure as hell wasn't going to waste my time trying to talk her into it.

"Banana!" Mason threw his arms around me, but I didn't return the gesture. I only stood there frozen, staring at my sister over his shoulder until she turned away.

"Glad you could make it, man!" Justin grinned, pulling Mason into one of those weird man hugs before slapping his back roughly.

"Okay, guys. Since we have a lovely couple with us, Mom was able to get us two rooms for the price of one. We'll be getting up and heading to the park at six, so I highly recommend we get to bed fairly early tonight." Sophia gave me a pointed look, as if what she said was meant for me.

"Let's go take everything upstairs and get situated, then we'll figure out what to do about dinner. Sound good?" She went on. We all nodded, but it was Mason who threw his arm over her shoulder and grinned.

"Sounds great."

*

"I'll go!" Mason and I stood in unison, nearly butting heads in the process. Sophia and Justin nodded from where they sat on the beds, Hailey joining them with a tight smile.

"Okay. Three larges, a diet coke, a sprite, and breadsticks, correcto?" Mason questioned, taking down everyone's orders. They all nodded.

"Alrighty, Banana. Our chariot awaits!" Mason ripped the keys from the nightstand and looped his arm through mine, dragging me out of the room after him. I grabbed at his bicep once we were in the elevator.

"I know, my muscles are incredible, aren't they?" he teased, "Much better than Justin's, huh?" I tried to smile, but he must have seen the strain in it.

"What's going on, Han? You've been quiet all night. It's not like Banana not to talk." I started laughing at the comment, he seemed to get it a second later, "Okay, that came out wrong. But seriously, love, what's up?"

I still didn't respond, but sighed in relief once the elevator doors separated. Neither of us spoke until we were in Mason's old Mustang, his eyes occasionally flickering back to me.

"Hannah-"

"I don't want to talk about it." I cut him off.

"Are you on your pills?" he didn't look at me, "I know you were running low and-"

"I have them, Mase. Don't worry." I responded, laying my head against the window.

"Is it Justin? Does he want to have sex or something?" He tried again, "Do you need condoms or-'"

"It's not Justin and no I don't need condoms." I lifted my head slightly.

"Hailey then?" he questioned.

"Partially." I muttered, "Can we please just not talk about it?" the car stayed silent for a few minutes before he nodded slowly and reached to turn up the radio.

"Of course." he huffed out, but I could tell by the way his eyes darkened that he was determined to figure out what was wrong with me. All I could do was wish him luck with that.

*

"Let's play truth or dare!" Sophia draped her arms over Mason's neck, giggling, "Come on, it'll be fun."