Chapter 23

Chapter 23

"Are you even listening to me?"

I didn't even need to hear the answer to that question. I already knew it. Sophia had the bad habit of tuning me out when I spoke for more than thirty seconds. Or at all.

She looked over at me as we walked to our trailers. She had definitely been spacing out. "No, not really," she said.

"I'm trying to warn you, Soph," I said. "Cassie came looking for you last week and said she'd be back today."

My bat-shit crazy ex apparently came looking for Sophia last week when she and I were shooting a scene off set. I only found about it yesterday through Blake, who apparently didn't think it was worth bringing up until the day before Cassie was planning on showing up.

I hadn't talked to Cassie in a while, but considering our on-again, off-again type of relationship, I was sure she thought we'd eventually be getting back together. Seeing my name popping up alongside Sophia's all the time had to have been getting to her – and apparently she'd had enough.

I had no intentions of getting back together with Cassie, if I was being honest. Sure, she was hot and we looked good together, but frankly I was done putting up with her shit. She was too much of a diva. Being a diva was fine on the red carpet, but when it constantly seeped into your personal life, it got old.

"Cassie?" Sophia asked. "As in your overly-attached ex-girlfriend, Cassie?"

I nodded. "She thinks I have a thing for you. Crazy. Right?"

Except maybe it wasn't so crazy. I kept thinking about our practice kiss and the filmed one that was coming up today – and not in an "I'm dreading this" kind of way but in a weird "I want to do that again" kind of way. But I wasn't going to tell her that.

Sophia was about to reply when she stopped in her tracks. I turned to look at what had gotten her attention and it was none other than Cassie herself.

"Speaking of the devil," Sophia said.

Cassie and I locked eyes for a moment. She looked flawless, as usual. She was every guy's dream girl – at least physically. In reality, she was a pretty shitty girlfriend. I didn't know many guys that liked being yelled at constantly, cyber-stalked to make sure they weren't cheating, even though I'd never cheated on her or anyone, or micro-managed. Not to mention the time she threw a vase at my head when we got home because I'd looked at our waitress for one second too long.

People could say whatever they wanted about me, but one thing I wasn't was a cheater. If I slept with multiple girls, it was because I told them we weren't exclusive and we were both free to do whatever the fuck we wanted. If I made things exclusive – and Cassie had been the only one I'd done that with so far – I kept things exclusive.

That didn't count the breaks Cassie and I took. I guess they were break-ups because we never planned on getting back together. We just somehow always ended up back where we left off after sowing our wild oats on our own for a while.

Why did I go back to a girl who threw a vase at my head for checking out our waitress? A few reasons. Cassie was hot, it was good publicity, especially when we starred in movies together, and she was good in bed. It had seemed like a fair trade-off at the time, but I was done. She wasn't the only girl who had those things to offer.

"Can I have a word with you, Sophia?" Cassie asked before looking directly at me again. "Alone?"

I looked at Sophia to see if it was okay for me to leave. Honestly, I wanted to stay and listen to their conversation, but I also wanted to make sure they wouldn't end up on the ground pulling each other's hair out because I left them alone. I wouldn't put it past Cassie to turn it into a physical fight, and I knew Sophia wouldn't just stand there and take it. She looked like she'd be pretty scrappy in a fight.