6-Mandrake Leafs

"Good morning class," Professor McGonagall greeted her students. "Today we will be taking notes on animal to animal transfiguration. Take out your books and quills." The students followed her instructions and she was about to start the lesson when Sirius Black raised his hand. 

"Yes, Mr. Black?" She looked annoyed. "Well, this is a completely hypothetical question...What is the process to become an animagus?" He asked nervously glancing at James. "I believe you will learn all about that next year," she didn't believe that it was a hypothetical question, "and I'm most certain that it is not the topic of today's class." Sirius looked down, unsure of what to say. "I was just curious..." She looked at him shaking her head. "You will have to wait for 3rd year Black...I will say though, that it is a difficult process and it can be dangerous if not properly done. Also, all wizards must register their animagi in the Ministry of Magic. Those who don't, could en up in Azkaban Prison." She made eye contact with each of the four boys. "Shall I continue, or does anyone else feel the need interrupt the lesson?" "Sorry Professor." Sirius looked down at his hands, not at all satisfied with her answer.

-

Remus sighed. "You didn't really expect her to give you a full on explanation on becoming animagi, did you?" Sometimes he didn't understand his friends. They weren't stupid, just not all that clever at times. "I know where we can find that information though," the boy brushed his sandy hair with one hand and smirked. "Where?" His three friends asked together. "The library, obviously." He rolled his eyes in disbelief. "Oh right," James chuckled, "basically your second home, right Remus?" "Oh shut up," Remus sighed, "I just don't want to be an ignorant prat." "Hey!" James complained.

They made their way to the library and started to look for a book on animagi. Remus seemed to be the only one who knew where to begin the search. The other three boys had barely even visited the library. James perhaps might have, but only to look for Lily who always studied there. 

"Found it!" Remus was using his wand to bring a book down from the shelf. The book flew to his hands. 'Animagi: The Official Guide' was written across the leather cover. The boys sat at a table and skimmed through the pages until they came across one titled: 'The Process'. 

"Here it is..." Remus read over the steps and took a long sigh. "This looks difficult, and it's going to take time." "What does it say?" Sirius didn't like to read. "First you have to hold a mandrake leaf in your mouth for a month...then make an advanced level potion which takes months to brew...recite a weird incantation...and then in theory, if all the steps are done correctly, you can turn into an animagus." Remus had read the long list of steps and now looked at the other boys waiting for a response. "Lucky us that we have me...and you of course," James was being too optimistic and arrogant as always, "you know since I'm excellent at transfiguration and Remus, well you are pretty clever." He smirked. "Stop being such a prat," Sirius had to admit that his best friend could be unnecessarily arrogant and cocky at times.

"Well, what are we waiting for? Lets go get some mandrika leafs," Sirius said. "It's 'mandrake'," Remus corrected him and James laughed. 

-

They opened the door of the greenhouse and entered; it was lunchtime so no one was there. "So...does anyone know what a mandrake leaf looks like?" James realised that they needed to know what they were looking for. "I do," Peter said shyly. He had a knack for herbology and it was therefore his favourite class. He walked over to a pot with a mandrake plant. "This is it," he announce proudly. 

They all stood around the pot, and each one pulled a leaf from the plant. "Ugh it smells awful." James complained. "Wait till you put it in your mouth," Remus reminded him. Sirius had already began to do so. "Ugh ith tateth groth,"he tried to say with the leaf still in his mouth. "How are we supposed to eat without swallowing it?" Peter was always concerned about eating which is probably why he was the chubbiest out out the four. "Thats easy," Remus took out his wand, and pointed it to Sirius's mouth. He was a bit scared but he trusted Remus. The boy performed a sticking charm successfully, and the leaf was now stuck to the inside of Sirius's mouth. 

"Wicked!" He exclaimed. James had taken out his wand and pointed it to Peter's mouth. He must have pointed to his tongue instead of the leaf because it was the former that was now stuck up in his palate. "Ahhhh!!!" Peter screamed nervously trying to unstick it, but it seemed to be stuck permanently. "Oh what have you done James..." Remus used the counter-spell to fix the problem. "There, now let me do it." Remus performed the charm on Peter and he was successful again. Then he did it on James, and the three boys were very happy, or at least as happy as you can be when a disgusting mandrake leaf is stuck to your mouth. "This is great! Now we just have to wait 1 month right?" Sirius asked. "Yeah...and that will be...the end of the term!" James said happily. "Then we might need to do the mandrake thing again because we need to use the leafs to brew a potion...and we aren't going to brew it during the summer." Remus seemed to be the only one with a bit of common sense. "So you mean we have to wait until next year?" Peter was disappointed. "I guess so."

Did you like this chapter? Please vote and comment :)

I hope to update one more chapter by today.