5-The New Chaser

"Gryffindor Quidditch tryouts will be held in the back field tomorrow at 10 in the morning!" The 7th year Gryffindor Quidditch Captain announced. He was standing in the Gryffindor Common Room with his wand pointed to his neck. It was an amplifying charm to make sure that everyone heard him. James elbowed Sirius with a smirk on his face. He would be going for sure, but Sirius wasn't so sure that he wanted to. Next to him sat Remus, book in hand, completely ignoring the announcement. He was not interested in sports, as he had enough physical activity with his monthly transformations. Peter seemed excited, but it was mostly because James was excited and Peter really admired him. 

Peter, some would say, was not like the rest of his friends. They had all gotten into Gryffindor because they were brave, daring, and had all those other Gryffindor qualities that Peter greatly admired. He didn't posses any of those qualities; he had gotten into that house because he begged the hat. He honestly did it because he wanted to be in the same house as James, although he would never admit it. He was a good friend though, and he was always there to help when he was needed which is why the other boys liked him. 

-

It was 10 in the morning of the following day, and James made his way to the big field for the Quidditch tryout. His friends followed him, really just for 'moral support'. 

"Alright, lets begin!" The captain said. "Make three lines. One for chasers, other one for beaters, and one for keeper. We already have a seeker, so that will not be necessary."  The students lined themselves. James went for the chaser position. He had watched many Quidditch matches, and that was by far his favourite.

They were ordered to fly around the Quidditch pitch a couple of times. It was mostly to rule out those students who could barely fly a broom. James was good, he slid through the air like he had been born to fly. His friends watched in amazement.  Then the quaffle was shown in the air and the soon-to- be chasers tried to get it through the hoops. James was the first to do so. He was very fast and agile. 

About an hour later the new players were chosen. James smiled proudly was he walked over to his friends who congratulated him. "Great!" Sirius patted him on the back. "That was amazing, James!" Peter looked up at him in amazement. "Do you think Lily will fall for me now that I'm in the team?" James hopelessly asked. It was Remus who answered. He had become friends with Lily as they had many classes together. "I doubt it James, Lily is not a fan of Quidditch." James looked disappointed and sad. His pride had just been crushed by giant brick wall that had landed on it; and that wall was rejection. 

-

"Contrats James!" "Good job!" "Nicely done out there." People congratulated the boy as he entered the Common Room. He ran a hand through his messy hair, something that had become quite a habit for him. He ignored them and went up to his room. He lay on his bed with his legs falling awkwardly to the sides. "Don't worry Jamesie," Sirius seemed to have hopes for his friend, "I'm sure Lily will come around some day, and realise how amazing you are." He said that sentence somewhat sarcastically and James rolled his eyes at him. 

James truly loved Lily. Not just because she was beautiful, or had stunning hair, he liked how she was. Well, not how she was to him, but otherwise she was an amazing person. She was funny, smart, witty, kind, gentle...she was perfect. James was sure that he was also quite perfect. He was good looking, smart, funny...what else could a girl want? In fact, many girls liked him, but he seemed to have crushed on the one girl that showed no interest in him at all. For some reason he didn't give up because a part of him was sure that she would one day fall in love with him.

-

The full moon was just a few weeks away, and Remus felt very tired. He hated himself for being a werewolf. One would have thought that after 7 years of transformations he would have gotten used to it. The thing was that turning into a werewolf wasn't something you can get used to. Especially when each full moon the transformations got worse, and the wolf grew stronger. 

"Hey Remi, what's wrong?" Sirius asked concerned, "it's the full moon isn't it?" Remus looked up. He didn't want them to worry but he couldn't lie, not any more. "I'm just tired, you know?" He sighed. "The next moon is still a few weeks away, but I can feel it already." 

The three boys looked at him. Sadness in their eyes and concern hidden behind the smiles they tried to fake. "Why can't we go with you?" The boy pushed his raven hair out of his face. He knew the answer to that question but he wished things could be different. "You know it's dangerous. A werewolf can hurt even his best friend during the transformation. I cannot put you guys under such risk." He also wished things could be different. He wished that he didn't have to be alone during the transformations, but there was nothing he could do. 

"Would a werewolf attack an animal?" James suddenly grew curious. "Well, I mean, if the animal got in his way or something, I guess...but a werewolf would not attack an animal that presented no harm to him." Remus didn't really understand the nature of the question but he did his best to answer it. He knew because he had done lots of research on werewolfs, hoping to find a cure or at least something that could help, but he found nothing. 

Something lit up in the back of James's mind. He had come up with an idea but he wasn't sure it would work. "What if we went with you as animals?" The three boys looked confused. "What if we went to the Shrieking Shack with you during the full moon, but we were animals instead of humans?" Sirius and Peter were clueless about what the boy just said, but Remus understood. He shook his head. He couldn't believe what James had told him. "You can't do that. It's a dangerous process and you know it." "What are you talking about?" Sirius asked narrowing his eyes. "James here had the brilliant  idea that you three could become animagi!" Remus's tone was extremely sarcastic. 

"Wicked!" Sirius jumped off his bed. "So I could be like a puppy or something!" "Sirius, you can't choose your animagus, you know that?" Remus laughed. "Well he'd probably be a puppy anyway," James grinned looking at them. Peter just stared, clueless, and Remus must have noticed because he began to explain. "An animagus is a wizard who willingly turns themselves into an animal. The problem is that the process of becoming one is complicated and it can be dangerous." Peter's eyes widened and his lips curled into a smile. "Great! So how do we do ti?" 

"Didn't you three hear what I just said?" Remus shook his head in disbelief. "I will not allow you to do it! I will not allow you to put yourselves in danger for me!" The three boys just stared at him and Sirius grinned. "Who said we needed your permission?"