2-The Sorting Ceremony

The first years entered the Great Hall and felt slightly intimidated by the stares and murmuring from the other Hogwarts students who sat in the long tables. They all came to stand in front of the Sorting Hat and Professor McGonagall started her speech. "Welcome to Hogwarts. Soon we will begin the Sorting Ceremony, and each of you will be sorted into one of the four houses: Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw, and Slytherin. You will spend most of your time with the members of your house, and you will share the dormitory and common room with them," she began. "Now, through out the year you will earn points for your house for your achievements, and points will be taken away for breaking any of Hogwarts' rules. At the end of the year, the house with the most number of points will win the House Cup." She stressed the previous sentences with a very serious tone of voice. "Shall we begin?"

"Marlene McKinnon," the profesor read the first name on the list, and a blond-haired girl sat down on the stool and the hat was placed on her head. "Mmm...Definitely Gryffindor!" The hat said, and loud cheering came from the Gryffindor table as the girl made her way there. "Emma Vanity." A tall girl made her way to the stool and pushed her black hair behind her ears. "Slytherin!" The hat didn't hesitate one second. "James Potter." "Gryffindor!" James smiled and hopped off the stool, his tanned skin glowing with pride. "Peter Pettigrew." The boy looked nervous as he sat down. "Please Gryffindor, Gryffindor, please..." Peter begged the hat. "Well...I guess if you are so fond of this house...Gryffindor!" The hat didn't seem sure at first but finally realised that it was really the boy's deepest desire. The 11 year old looked a bit shocked but he was truly happy. "Lily Evans." A red-haired girl walked up to the sorting hat smiling and turned around to look at a boy with black greasy hair that smiled back at her. They knew each other. From the Gryffindor table James also looked at her. She was beautiful and he felt his cheeks blushing a pretty shade of red. Then the hat spoke. "Mmm...Very clever mind indeed, but I see lots of courage...Gryffindor!" The girl seemed very happy. She looked for the pair of familiar eyes belonging to the black-haired boy, but he didn't seem as happy with the hat's decision. He looked sad and disappointed, and she just looked back confused. "Severus Snape." He finally looked away from Lily and walked up to the stool. "Slytherin!" The boy didn't seem surprised at all, but the auburn-haired girl now sitting at the Gryffindor table certainly was. Now she understood the look she has received earlier from her childhood friend. This meant that they would no longer sit together, but she was certain that they could still be friends. Why wouldn't they? "Remus Lupin." The boy sat down at the stool. He was pretty sure he would end up in Ravenclaw, so he was a tiny bit sad since two of the people he met on the train were in Gryffindor. "Lots of cleverness and  wit I see indeed, but Ravenclaw just doesn't seem right for you...I think Gryffindor would be better...so...Gryffindor!" Remus looked very surprised but also happy as he made his way to sit with James and Peter. Profesor McGonagall continued to read the names off the long piece of parchment in her hand until she came to the last one. "Sirius Black," she announced. The boy seemed to be almost shaking, although he tried to hide his fear the best he could. It wasn't really fear, it was just that this moment would certainly determine whether he truly belonged to the Black family, or whether he was just a disappointment to them; and being truly honest he didn't know if he wanted to belong to such a family. "Well, a Black," the hat started, "quite strangely you don't seem to belong in Slytherin like the rest of your family..." Suddenly whispers could be heard coming from the Slytherin table. It was mostly whispers of disappointment which made Sirius feel even worse than he already did. "I just...I think you'd do much better in... Gryffindor!" The whole room went silent for just a moment. It was the moment it took for the news to sink in, especially for the Slytherins. The entire Black family knew that Sirius had always bee a bit different, but certainly not to this point. Everyone in the family had been sorted into Slytherin for over centuries, and an 11 year old had just changed the tradition. He felt scared at first. Scared of what people might think. Scared of his parents' reaction. But oddly enough he found that deep inside he was proud. Proud to be different. Proud to not be just like all the other Blacks. And he was also happy because, when he sat at the Gryffindor table he was greeted by the three boys that had become his friends in the few hours they spent in the Hogwarts Express.

This is my second update. Hope you guys are liking it so far. The first chapters don't have a lot of action because they are really the exposition to the story, but I'm sorry if you found it a bit boring. Please keep reading, and thanks to all that made it this far ;)