4-Full Moon Excuses

Several months had gone by and the boys seemed to have grown very close, although they still kept many secrets from each other. It was their second year at Hogwarts now.

-

The afternoon gave way to a rainbow of pink shades that painted the clouds. It was full moon that day, and the boys were in their dorm. At night they would go up to the Astronomy Tower to look at the moon. That would be the last class of their day, but since it was so late, they had all been advised to go and rest. 

"Hey Jamsie, what are you writing?" Sirius made his way to James's bed. "Uh...nothing." James hid a piece of parchment under his long, skinny legs. "What is it?" The other boy, who was even thinner than him, reached down and took out the paper. "Doesn't look like nothing ," Sirius grinned as he began to read aloud: Lily you are beautiful like a lily flower, your hair is like fire, but really beautiful as well. I can't wait to see it glow under the moonlight tonight. 

Sirius laughed. "Oh you are such a hopeless romantic, aren't you James?" "Shut up," James managed to blurt out, "she will fall for me this time." He truly was a 'hopeless romantic' as Sirius had said. Lily had not shown the slightest bit of interest in him, but he was truly determined to get her attention. 

From the other side of the room, Remus was curled up in a ball, his eyes closed, as he tried to hide the pain he was in. He had a terrible headache and he was extremely tired, but with the full moon falling upon them that night, it was no surprise. He feared the arrival of night because that night, just like every night on a full moon, he would be turning into a werewolf. Into an uncontrollable monster that grew stronger with the passing of each moon phase. 

"You alright Remus?" Sirius had dropped the 'poem' and his attention was now fixed on Remus. The boy looked up. He looked sick, and his three roommates looked truly worried. "Y-yea...I-I just feel a bit sick," he wasn't lying, he just didn't tell them the 'full' truth, "nothing to worry about." He faked a smile. "You really don't look so good," James could tell he was lying. "Maybe you should go to the hospital wing," Peter suggested. "...I guess," Remus got up slowly. Every bone in his body was aching, he thought that this would be a particularly bad moon. He was just glad that he now had an excuse to leave the room. 

-

It was almost night time, and Remus made his way to the Shrieking Shack. That was the place were he went for his monthly transformations, as Dumbledore had assigned him to do. He felt fear as he entered the room, his heightened senses detected the smell of blood, now permanent in the floors of the house. It was from all the cuts he got during the transformation. He hurt himself not to hurt others. That was probably one of the things that made him a true Gryffindor. It would be debatable as to whether it was a Gryffindor or Hufflepuff trait, but since the hat had placed him in the former one, that would probably be the most accurate answer. He felt the moon, completely round and shining outside. He couldn't see it, but the tension was building in his body, and it could only be due to that. The transformation had started and the 12 year old boy felt his tiny body turn into a monster. He was in pain, and he felt the urge to hurt something. He didn't really feel it, it was the werewolf inside of him, but after all, the werewolf lived within him and they were the same being. 

-

A long, thin boy now lay in a pool of blood. His own blood, which kept flowing from the cuts all over his skin. Madam Pomfrey, the school nurse, hurried to help the kid. She did that every month, and took him to the hospital wing. That moon had indeed been worse that the one before, and she just felt sorry for him. He was such a sweet boy, and he didn't deserve the hell that awaited him every month. Really, no one did.

-

Remus woke up, his body extremely sore from the night before, and now covered in bandages.  He tried to come up with another excuse to tell his friends. He fell down the stairs, he was attacked by the Whomping Willow, a monster in the Great Lake hurt him...he was truly running out of excuses. Suddenly his three friends entered the hospital wing. They looked worried and run to his bed.

"Oh god Remus," James couldn't believe his eyes, "what happened?" "I-I...I had an accident." He didn't know what else to say. "Yeah we can see that,"Sirius was far from content with his excuse, "what kind of accident?" Remus felt his mind go blank, he didn't know what to say. "James, Pete, could you please let me talk to Remus alone," Sirius said, "just for a second?" The two boys looked confused. "Well, I guess..." James didn't know what to say to him, but he and Peter walked away leaving Sirius and Remus alone.

Remus was completely shocked. He didn't know what to expect. Sirius tried to figure out the best way to approach the situation. He didn't usually think before acting, but he realised that this was a particularly delicate situation. After this full moon, things had just sort of connected in his mind. The absences every month, the full moon that accompanied the absences, the next day at the hospital...He finally realised. "You are a werewolf, aren't you?" He couldn't come up with a better way to say it. 

Remus felt as if everything fell down on him, as if him bones were crushing on his chest, as if his heart stopped. How could Sirius, of all people, have guessed right? "What?-Why-why'd you think that?" He didn't know what to say, but he wouldn't give in just yet. "Bit obvious don't you think?" Sirius smirked. "I just don't know how I didn't see it before. I don't know how they didn't figure it out yet." Sirius said looking over at James and Peter, who had sat down on an empty bed. "Wait, you didn't tell them?" Remus seemed confused, but at the same time relieved. He felt has if part of the burden had been lifted. "Of course not, why'd you think I told them to leave us?" His black hair, which had grown down to his shoulders, fell on his face. He put it up in a messy, careless bun. "I wanted to make sure first. Before telling them, you know? You are going to tell them, right?" He looked at the boy sitting up on his bed. "I just...I never told anyone before." He was scared and nervous. "They might hate me for..." he started. "For?" Sirius didn't understand. "For being a monster." 

"A monster? You are not a monster. You are Remus Lupin. The boy who makes sure we don't get into too much trouble, the boy who always does his homework, and who all the teachers love...should I continue?" Remus blushed a little. It wasn't the reaction he had expected, but he was most certainly happy. "So, can I call them over?" Sirius said looking at the two boys who sat at the other side of the room. Remus nodded. "Hey, James, Peter, come here!" He yelled. Luckily the hospital was otherwise empty, not even Madam Pomfrey was there. 

"Remus here has something to tell you," he smiled as if it was nothing serious at all. "...I..." Remus didn't know how to say it. It looked easy, but he felt has if he had suddenly forgotten all the English language. "I..." He said again. "You...?" James was getting a bit impatient. "ImawerewolfandIgetifyouhatemenowIjustam." Remus blurted out and received confused looks from the two boys, and a smirk from Sirius. He breathed in. "I...am...a werewolf. And I understand if you don't want to be my friends anymore because I'm a monster, but I had to tell you." He looked down at his hands, now sweaty and shaking. He was expecting the worse.

Instead, he felt a warm hand on his shoulder, and the three boys sat around him. He realised, that very moment, that he had was the luckiest person in the world. He had the best friends anyone could ever dream of having. "Pretty neat, don't you think, that our best friend is a werewolf?" James genuinely smiled. "Yeah." Sirius said, and Remus smiled back at them. "But are you alright?" Peter asked looking at his bandaged arms. "It hurts a bit, but I'll be fine." Remus smiled again, glad that he had nothing to hide from them anymore.

This chapter is a bit longer than the ones before, but I know that they are all pretty short. It's just easier for me to write shorter chapters so that I can upload more often. 

Are you guys liking it so far? It would make me really happy if you commented and voted :)